Thread: Leaking Exhaust

Leaking Exhaust

Hello,

Can somebody help me with a leaking exhaust issue?

I have a 2002 GTX 4-Tec. I just replaced the J-Pipe because the flexible bellows had gone causing an exhaust leak.

I have since replaced the J-Pipe but there seems to be a leak coming from between the manifold and J-Pipe, from under the exhaust clamp.

I have followed the specifications when installing the J-Pipe. Tighten the clamp, then the muffler, no more than 1mm gap between the J-Pipe and manifold etc etc.

The only uncertainty is the 9nm of torque on the exhaust clamp as I can't get a torque wrench to fit it. I have made it a fairly tight (using two fingers) with a spanner.

Before I go tightening the clamp any further, can someone tell me if there is a trick I need to consider? I'm worrying about over tightening the clamp as I've heard they snap.

Please advise...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxDive View Post
    Hello,

Can somebody help me with a leaking exhaust issue?

I have a 2002 GTX 4-Tec. I just replaced the J-Pipe because the flexible bellows had gone causing an exhaust leak.

I have since replaced the J-Pipe but there seems to be a leak coming from between the manifold and J-Pipe, from under the exhaust clamp.

I have followed the specifications when installing the J-Pipe. Tighten the clamp, then the muffler, no more than 1mm gap between the J-Pipe and manifold etc etc.

The only uncertainty is the 9nm of torque on the exhaust clamp as I can't get a torque wrench to fit it. I have made it a fairly tight (using two fingers) with a spanner.

Before I go tightening the clamp any further, can someone tell me if there is a trick I need to consider? I'm worrying about over tightening the clamp as I've heard they snap.

Please advise...
    I attach it to the water box then to the manifold. I use the water box as leverage and lift up on the pipe to get a good union. I take a deep well 10mm and tighten until taut. If it is not fully flush it will leak and also if the clamp is not on 100% Tighten slowly with a socket wrench all-the-while making sure you are getting a good union b/t the j-pipe and manifold.

+1
    Check your motor mounts. If they are broken, you could break your new J pipe.

Thread Information