Question what tools do i need to split the case to chk crank.........?

what tools would i need to split the case and chk the crank....? on sl 650 trip 1992..... and will i have to do the timing ..... had a piston burn up and some people are telling me to make sure nothing down there got mest up.....? how hard is this to do . . . . . . .

hammer and a chisel

ok just hand tools it is easy but checking a crank can be tricky

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    No need to split the case yet.

First, a visual inspection. Looking through the intake area with reeds removed or down at the crank with cyls removed. Looking for debris from the damaged piston.

Next would be a test for "feel". Turn the crank over by hand using the engine coupler. You're trying to "feel" or listen for any gritty stuff going on.

If you see or feel anything, you need to remove the crank. Although some have just replaced the piston and been good, it's your call.

You do however need to find the cause of the failure, or it will just happen all over again.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jk0420 View Post
    .... SL 650 .... 1992...
    Your 1992 engine is now 19 years old.

Any idea how many running hours are on this 650 engine?

What is the compression on the other cylinders?

How long since the engine last ran properly?

If the engine is worn down from lots of running hours, or degraded from sitting (such as possible internal rust), you may be looking at a full engine rebuild. Current internal condition is everything with these engines.

Evaluate what you have first, then decide what path to take. A fully rebuilt SBT 650 engine may be an option for you, if the rest of the engine doesn't justify rebuilding just one cylinder.

the ski ran good for one summer . I put new rings on it and plugs, the coolent lins were cloged, so it over heated . and somebody told me the rings lose there seal when that happens .... but i didnt find out abought the fuel upgrades , new pump and rebuild carbs till it was to late the piston #3 ran lean had fule line kinked . . . fixed that issue. . . both # 1 #2 had 130 psi . . . found some very fine piston dust in reeds . . but cant see any more . . .
    not sure how many hrs, bought ski for $100 i know it sat for 5 -8 years . . . . . ran good for me for one summer...............?

fyi put new boysin power reed in to.... but there were no spacers on when i got it do i need ..........? and were do they go..........? this is my first ski so trying to learn .........

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jk0420 View Post
    ... the coolant lines were clogged, so it over heated ...
    The early versions of the Polaris Fuji engine (including your 1992 650) have a water jacket in the crankcase.

If the cooling lines were clogged, there is a chance that there is also sand or silt clogging up the water jackets (engine, exhaust, crankcase). The only way to really tell is to pull things apart and inspect.

There were some official Service Bulletin revisions from Polaris regarding that cooling system.

PWC-92-06 SL 650 Engine Cooling System Revision
    PWC-92-07 SL 650 Engine Cooling System Check Valve Installation

Keep in mind that 1992 was the very first model year for Polaris PWC. There were a bunch of updates and changes recommended (not just for the cooling system) as Polaris learned from the early owner and dealership feedback. Read up on what is currently recommended for your 1992 SL 650.

Thread Information