Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

R&D Stage 1 VXR kicks ass at Mark Hahn 300

This years Mark Hahn 300 marked the début of the new Yamaha VXR 1800cc N.A. (naturally aspirated) watercraft. R&D recognized the potential of this new watercraft and prepared it with the new R&D VXR Stage 1 Kit.
    R&D VXR/VXS Stage 1 Kit [992-01801] - $1,399.95 : PWCPerformance.com

Piloted by 16 year old Indonesian Aero Sutan Aswar, the R&D powered VXR did not disappoint.

Aero who competed in the event solo was the first rider to complete 25 laps taking the win in his class and also becoming the first rider to win the Iron Man Award and his class in the same year. Out of 48 entries Aero also finished 7th overall amongst all the Supercharged and Turbo charged watercraft.

The VXR proved to be reliable and have fantastic fuel economy by being able to complete 3-4 laps more between fuel stops over the Supercharged watercraft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clip_image002.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	230898  

Banned User
    +1
    Aero did incredibly well for his first endurance race, only having about 2 hours of riding/practice on the VXR, and with rough water conditions.
    Here are the lap times and positions(Aero finished in 7th); MYLAPS Results

And, he is in this video, on the silver Yamaha VXR, #19

They could have completed the 300 mile race, with only 3 pit stops!!!! But, they elected to have more pit stops(four, I think?) so Aero could drink, eat, and have his Mom pour hot water over his freezing feet(it was cold!).
    To give you an idea of how rough the water was, Aero had a Go Pro Camera mounted up high on the hood(same boat I used to shoot my VXR video), and he hit a wave, that tore the camera completely off the boat!!! Now that's rough!!
    Remember this "kids" name-Aero. You'll be seeing and hearing a lot more about him in the future. Hopefully, he makes it to the APBA/IJSBA season opener in Parker, AZ, in May. You will see him on a podium, very soon. He's a very talented rider, and, he's only 16!!!
    We are all very proud of Aero, and what he has accomplished, in such a short time.

congrats ! to yamaha and aero, this platform is going to be bad azz as i said before !

Banned User
    +1
    my mother Ended up siting next to his mom at WF's, super nice lady!..... oh and he rips too!

Wow, the kid was going 8 or 9 laps? That's good. Do you know if he had a "quick fill" re fueling system on his boat? Or was it stock? JB

+1
    So much for all the non believers that said the VXR will only be good as a flat water boat. Very impressive results for anyone, but for a 16yo ridng ironman...WOW!!

Banned User
    +1
    Here is some video I shot of Aero's pit stop, on lap 25. You can see his Mom pouring hot water on his feet to try and warm him up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    Aero did incredibly well for his first endurance race, only having about 2 hours of riding/practice on the VXR, and with rough water conditions.
    Here are the lap times and positions(Aero finished in 7th); MYLAPS Results

And, he is in this video, on the silver Yamaha VXR, #19

They could have completed the 300 mile race, with only 3 pit stops!!!! But, they elected to have more pit stops(four, I think?) so Aero could drink, eat, and have his Mom pour hot water over his freezing feet(it was cold!).
    To give you an idea of how rough the water was, Aero had a Go Pro Camera mounted up high on the hood(same boat I used to shoot my VXR video), and he hit a wave, that tore the camera completely off the boat!!! Now that's rough!!
    Remember this "kids" name-Aero. You'll be seeing and hearing a lot more about him in the future. Hopefully, he makes it to the APBA/IJSBA season opener in Parker, AZ, in May. You will see him on a podium, very soon. He's a very talented rider, and, he's only 16!!!
    We are all very proud of Aero, and what he has accomplished, in such a short time.
    Awesome video! Thanks for posting.

I'm trying to figure out how to get Her to get one...

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1
    Just think if he would have had trim !!

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by maxadrenaline View Post
    Just think if he would have had trim !!
    Trim is easy, and could be made, if there were enough interest/need. But frankly, it was so rough, trim would not have helped much. Still trying to figure out if a wave broke the camera off, or he just hit a wave hard, and the camera snapped forward/backward with enough force to break off at the mount.
    But, if anyone finds a Go Pro HD around the California side of Lake Havasu, on the bottom of the lake, I'd sure like to copy the card to see the video

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information