96XP motor help - Oil

I was given a 96XP that had been left turned over in the water for a long period of time. It was running before this. The previous owner took the ski out, and didnt touch it for 2 years. I don't know if they tried to start it after but it's in my hands now.

I pulled the plugs and saw no evidence of corrosion. The boat is clean. Put a battery in and all functions seem to work.

I put oil in the oil reseviour and a little gas to see if I could get it to start but after 1-2 rotations it locked up. Removed the plugs, grounded the wires, and started to crank. Massive amounts of oil started shooting out of the plug holes.

Any ideas? I have been thinking about blocking off the oil lines and pre mixing but am concerned there may be other issues. I did not test compression.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    premixing will not solve your problems. you need to figure out if he pulled the plugs and cranked it over after he flipped it to get the water out. it sounds like you need to replace the ground wire and need to check the connections in the rear black box. also pull the starter and replace or change out the brushes on the starter. remove all the corrosion and start over. you need to do a compression check also. you should have around 150 psi +/- 5 psi. if it starts pouring blue smoke if you get it started your crank bearings are going out and its a matter of time before the motor goes up. personally after knowing what happened to it I would pull the motor and take it down to the crank and do a rebuild.

So the massive amounts of oil shooting out of the plug holes is normal?

Seadoo has been known to seep oil through the crankshaft seals, filling the cylinders. I store mine with a minimal amount of oil in the reservior. The first startup of the season is always smokey. Pull the plugs, blow out the oil, start it up, and run the crap out of it for a while.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire4Money View Post
    Seadoo has been known to seep oil through the crankshaft seals, filling the cylinders. I store mine with a minimal amount of oil in the reservior. The first startup of the season is always smokey. Pull the plugs, blow out the oil, start it up, and run the crap out of it for a while.
    exactly. this is oil, that has gravity fed, into your motor from the rotory shaft oil bath. ( through leaky inner crank seals). not uncommon, especially when they sit for long periods.

get all the oil out, and see if you can get it running.

I've had time to play with the ski now that it's in my garage. I talked to the previous owner, all electronics were replaced, MPEM, VTS, gauges, etc. It still has the grey fuel lines which I will replace soon.

I opened the box that houses the igition componets and saw the coil is corroded. I believe airborn is correct that the starter has corrosion issues. What other items could be corroded and need replacement?

Anything and everything you can pretty much think of. I would pull all electrical connectors and fuse holders apart and check for corrosion. Also if the rear box was full of water the starter solenoid may possibly go out on you as well. Give everything a good look over.

I will reinspect the boxes during the day. I am thinking about replacing the starter. The price varies a lot and I am not sure who/where to buy a starter from.

Is this starter ok? http://www.amazon.com/Watercraft-Spo.../dp/B003TLWV40

or this one?

http://www.watercraftsuperstore.net/.../503SB107.html

I think the general consensus with guys on here with regards to starters is you get what you pay for and there are just some things you are better off going oem with. Pull yours first and check it out. Might be in good enough shape that new brushes and bendix makes it just as good as new.

Thread Information