Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New to the club of GP1200 riders

Hi all,

ski newb here (don't bash me too hard lol), I hav just purchased a completely rebuilt 99 GP1200 wich I pick up in a few days,
    Just wondering what I should expect from this ski? (I have never rode one, I have mucked about on a GP1200r a bit but thats about all) This is my first ski so i'm hoping it will be good.
    what mods should I look at first? I want this ski to be reliable mostly, but I would like to give my mates 1200r a run for its money (its stock)
    any feedback you guys can give me would be sweet,

cheers

+1
    We were all newbs once, heck I'm still a newbie compared to the mechanical knowledge many of these guys on this board have. The GP1200 is an overall great watercraft, you'll have a good time on it. I have a lot of great memories of mine. Traded it last summer for a GPR. What I noticed is:

GP has slightly better hole shot than GPR (probably due to the fact it is a few hundred pounds heavier with only 20 HP more)

GPR has the higher top speed

GP is lower maintanance

GPR is better in rough water

Can't give you any modding tips as mine was 100% stock.

I know what you mean I wish I knew half of what some of these guys do.
    your gp being stock did it "porpious" alot? I'm guessing what that means is that the nose of the craft bob's up and down easily and alot?
    What about the stability of your gp? could you go 2 up without much of a problem?
    Thanks for your advise mate.

+1
    Yes it porpioused a little but nothing that shifting my body weight could not solve. The GPR is much better in that regard. It plows through wake like a freighter.

Yes the GP was pretty stable with two up as long as it's not 2 230lb men on board.

+1
    Buy a GPS and have your friend GPS his GPr then you know what speed you need to run to beat him.Your GP should run 60-61 mph then add a 150 psi head a ride plate and a intake grate.Set the plate up with shims and you should run about 65 mph,more if you fill in bolt holes etc.That should be all you need to take your friends GPr on top end.

Thanks for the info fella's.
    Yeah the gpr did seem pretty smooth through light chop.
    I should be ok 2 up then ... I don't plan on having many men on the back .... especially not 230lb ones lol.

hey flying scotman, I'm guessing your the same and same from the youtube speed run? sweet boat man, I've watched that vid a few times now.
    you guys think a 150 psi head will still keep the ski fairly reliable? what intake grate and ride plate do you recomend?
    i'm picking it up in the morning so I guess I'll see how it goes

+1
    2 up on a GP1200 wasn't much fun when I did it.

+1
    150 psi head is still reliable.As far as riding 2 up for the most part its a 1 person [email protected] plate and intake grate is a good combination.I would sugest a YD-SC-XO impeller as well.

I will look at a head in a month or two i guess, just got the ski this morning and took it for a spin, porpised a bit and didn't really run it hard as its the first tank of fuel on this pump and motor.

Will the R&D plate help with porposing? how do you run your motors in?

+1
    [email protected] will want to porpous at about 35 mph or so but its not a problem as you can power right through it.It also lets you jump at will and get big air.I lost a motor on the first tank of gas at full throttle.So taking it easy was a good idea.Pull the carbs and take a look inside,if you dont know what your looking for post pics and ask questions you should get lots of help.My carbs were junk check valves were shot. cost me about $1000 to rebuild the motor.If they need rebuilt use only oem yamaha carb parts for insurance.It is a good idea to pull your carbs often to check them out.I do it every year but every 2 years is probably fine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information