Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ECO Mode

ECO Mode

Does anyone have any details or results of the ECO mode on the new 300X yet?
    Does it change the fuel mapping, timing or both?
    What kind of fuel consumption does the 300X get with ECO mode on and off? Does it provide the same reduction at all speeds or only at part throttle?

And before someone chimes on saying that I shouldn't be worried about fuel economy on a 300HP ski, I do a lot of long distance offshore riding and love the 260X's handling in the rough, power, and storage. If I can have all this plus an option to get better fuel economy with lower power at the touch of a button, then to me this is a huge feature. I have my doubts as to how much of a difference the ECO mode will make, but would like some real world testing results (even if it's from the pre-production)

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    This is just a thought, there could be an electronically controlled bypass valve that opens up and treats the motor like a naturally aspirated motor.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    there could be an electronically controlled bypass valve that opens up and treats the motor like a naturally aspirated motor.
    Nice try...
    There is no mechanical device that specifically functions for ECO mode such as bypass vale or anything in the motor. It's all done in the ECU that uses a different fuel mapping when in ECO button is pressed. You still reach the maximum rpm/speed in ECO mode. It just gets there slower than normal mode. There has been something similar in auto industry for a long time since early 80's especially on EFI luxury Japanese cars like Nissan Maxima, Toyota Cressida via auto tranny shift contorol. In autos, the ECU has different sets of algorithm for gear shift points. There is a button to select one of the 3 choices, Economy, Normal and Power. In all modes, car reaches the maximum speed but it takes shorter or longer time depending on tranny mode. On the 300, this is achieved by varying the fuel flow rate, and this is now possible with the throttle by wire technology (which was not avail in 25/260). I think Kawi claims 15-20% saving in Eco mode.
    Last edited by meangreenman; 03-03-2011 at 11:35 AM.

My dealer said that with ECO mode on that it would act (and use fuel) more like a 260x. I don't know that this is accurate, but it is what he told me. He also got to ride one and use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Z272 View Post
    My dealer said that with ECO mode on that it would act (and use fuel) more like a 260x. I don't know that this is accurate, but it is what he told me. He also got to ride one and use it.
    Is that Larry or Darryl from Bridgeport dealer in Osage Beach? Theyknow about skis really well but not about the 300X "yet". Probably still too cold to ride there anyway.

The 260X will have the 300X in ECO mode for lunch especially on smooth water for sure. Already tried it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post
    Is that Larry or Darryl from Bridgeport dealer in Osage Beach? Theyknow about skis really well but not about the 300X "yet". Probably still too cold to ride there anyway.

The 260X will have the 300X in ECO mode for lunch especially on smooth water for sure. Already tried it.

but how about the fuel consomption? It should be 20% less then when it's not in eco but not 20% less then the 260x

+1
    I rode 30 miles today at different speeds. The eco mode has a manual button to turn it on and off. But I noticed that it will turn on by itself when cruising and holding the throttle steady. There are two different ECO indicators. I dont personally know the difference between the two technically. I did not notice any change in the way the boat accelerated or sounded when either ECO indicator was on. The owners manual doesnt state what gets changed in the ECU for ECO mode. And Im pretty sure theres no torque convertor to lock up...lol

+1
    I rode 30 miles today at different speeds. The eco mode has a manual button to turn it on and off. But I noticed that it will turn on by itself when cruising and holding the throttle steady. There are two different ECO indicators. I dont personally know the difference between the two technically. I did not notice any change in the way the boat accelerated or sounded when either ECO indicator was on. The owners manual doesnt state what gets changed in the ECU for ECO mode. And Im pretty sure theres no torque convertor to lock up...lol

All good info, but has anyone have one long enough yet to check the fuel consumption difference if any. How many miles can you get on a full tank of gas in eco mode and when not running WOT?

+1
    im guessing eco mode wont change WOT im sure it would only slow down power delivery similar to a seadoo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information