Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

The Future of SoLA

I think at sometime in their life, every SoLA resident has read theories or seen portrayals of what our coast will look like in the future. I've seen enough to realize that some have come to pass while other's haven't. This was the cover of the BR paper this AM: ‘A matter of survival’ | News | 2theadvocate.com — Baton Rouge, LA Check out the before & after Sat Pix. Pretty ominous...

You MBers will notice that the Spillway, Lakes V, G & P are all gone. Morgan City, Amelia, Berwick... all the area communities are depicted as being in the GoM. (Jerry, get your kids outta there - LOL) Looks like we'll still have NOLA (& Mardi Gras). And, perhaps, my great-grandchildren will have some "beach front" property up here in Ascension Parish!?

+1
    The Dutch(my people) are probably the best in the world at dealing with a similar issue. Much of their land(called polders) has been recalimed from the sea by building dikes & pumping out seawater, so it's below sealevel. It pretty weird driving on a road there & seeing a boat on the other side of the dike above you. Holland is similar to SOLA in that it's a river delta, so the land is sinking as the sealevel is rising. They have started changing their strategy for dealing with the North Sea storms that batter the dikes...instead of focusing on fighting the sea thay have started making planned flood zone areas. That way they have less chance of mass flooding from big storms. I remember there were teams of Dutch engineers brought in during the aftermath of Katrina.
    http://architecturalguidance.blogspo...rotterdam.html

+1
    Yep, I rem. the Dutch reps. coming to help LA solve Katrina issues, as well as the Gov. and other officials visiting Holland. And you can do this pretty much every year, during the Spring rise: Go to the center of NOLA's French Quarter at Jackson Square. Now, standing on the sidewalk along Decatur St., turn your back to St. Louis Cathedral and face the levee - look "up" and watch the ships go by...! It's a very strange feeling realizing how much water is above your head as you stand at street level.

+1
    Yeah, not sure I'd want to live in a place like that. My aunt, uncle & cousin line in a town called Hoek van Holland right next to that big storm barrier in the link I posted. Only problem is their town is on the outside of the barrier so they're pretty much fooked if a major storm hits.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    I think at sometime in their life, every SoLA resident has read theories or seen portrayals of what our coast will look like in the future. I've seen enough to realize that some have come to pass while other's haven't. This was the cover of the BR paper this AM: €˜A matter of survival€™ | News | 2theadvocate.com — Baton Rouge, LA Check out the before & after Sat Pix. Pretty ominous...

You MBers will notice that the Spillway, Lakes V, G & P are all gone. Morgan City, Amelia, Berwick... all the area communities are depicted as being in the GoM. (Jerry, get your kids outta there - LOL) Looks like we'll still have NOLA (& Mardi Gras). And, perhaps, my great-grandchildren will have some "beach front" property up here in Ascension Parish!?
    That's scary stuff

Banned User
    +1
    Yah. What happens to Venice, Boothville, Buras, and basically everything South of Belle Chasse??? Basically all of St. Bernard parish is gone!!!!
    I used to live in Lafayette and work in NOLA. I would spend the week in NOLA, and flew over that entire area, many, many times. I've also worked at bases in Boothville and Venice. It doesn't get anymore SOLA than Venice.
    Those are good people down there....they work hard, and they play hard.

This is just more devastation to an area that was completely wiped out by Katrina. Truly very sad. BP need to step up to the plate, and fix this....now!!!

+1
    Awe, man. I imagine the PWC fishing section will be a hit in several decades! By 2100, we will be hoverring like the Jetson's (enter Jetson's flyby sound effect here) and PWC will be a thing of the past. "We" will be modifying PHC (Personal Hoverring Crafts) for top speed or "hole shot".

+1
    As an example of coastal erosion/loss of lands in SoLA, here is a picture of the Pass Manchac Lighthouse. This was the 4th such lighthouse put in place at Pass Manchac and was constructed prior to the War of Northern Aggression. Keep in mind it was built on the shore, in a place not prone to flooding. As you can see, by the shore in the distance, the lighthouse now sits approx. 1/4 of mile into the lake.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00008.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	231166  

+1
    Is it erosion or the sea level rising? Maybe a combo? In your example, I would guess sea level rising since the building is still present...but I'm just a country boy.

I don't know too much about topograghy or the fluctuations of sea level ... other than annual water level chaos/hysteria leading to the second weekend of June in South Louisiana.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpeconsult View Post
    Is it erosion or the sea level rising? Maybe a combo? In your example, I would guess sea level rising since the building is still present...but I'm just a country boy.

I don't know too much about topograghy or the fluctuations of sea level ... other than annual water level chaos/hysteria leading to the second weekend of June in South Louisiana.
    Prob. a little of one (rising sea levels) and lot of the other (erosion). If if was simply rising sea levels, then you still may have ground w/dead trees in the immediate vicinity of that location. But w/erosion, as you can see in the pic., the land is just "gone". An LDWF study of some sort was done following Andrew and then Katrina, (I think), and both showed models where pretty much all the cypress trees in the area L. Palourde would be dead in "x" number of years, all due to salt water intrusion. And when you lose the trees, and other vegetative matter, the land goes next... it's a sad situation.

BTW, I checked NOAA's 30 day LMRFC: Looks like our first crest at RR Landing will be sometime mid-March at just 2 foot above flood stage. MC is expected to enter flood stage some time next week. Keep in mind that when I say "flood" this has nothing to do w/NWZ's. It the beginning of the Spring rise so the water is making it's way down. Plus, our water has been so low for so long, we've got plenty of surface area ready and waiting for "old snow".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information