+1

Bilge pump replacement

My pump is toast & needs replacing. I think the bearing is gone because it's making a screaching sound. Yamaha has it priced at $113...funk dat. Is it the same Rule 500 that can be found at any boating store, or does it have a proprietary Yami connector that I'll need to cut off the old one & reuse? Also, I noticed there is both an automatic & non-automatic model. I'm assuming one has a float & one doesn't but which is which?

Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    My pump is toast & needs replacing. I think the bearing is gone because it's making a screaching sound. Yamaha has it priced at $113...funk dat. Is it the same Rule 500 that can be found at any boating store, or does it have a proprietary Yami connector that I'll need to cut off the old one & reuse? Also, I noticed there is both an automatic & non-automatic model. I'm assuming one has a float & one doesn't but which is which?
    Hey Mark, it is a 2 wire pump. on the GPR`s the ecu activates the pump cycle. Is this the same way for your cruiser?
    Here is an affordable replacement:
    Rule 800 G.P.H. Round Bilge Pump - 20R - BoatersWorld.com

I`m going to do this soon. most likely splice in the replacement pump with weather proof shrink butt connectors...

edit, was just informed the Seachioce brand is JUNK!...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Hey Mark, it is a 2 wire pump. on the GPR`s the ecu activates the pump cycle. Is this the same way for your cruiser?
    Here is an affordable replacement:
    Rule 800 G.P.H. Round Bilge Pump - 20R - BoatersWorld.com

I`m going to do this soon. most likely splice in the replacement pump with weather proof shrink butt connectors...

here is another at Boat Parts, Marine Engine Parts, Boat Accessories and Marine Electronics online
    BoatFix.com :: BILGE PUMP UNIV 800GPH 3/4 $19.76
    Yeah, I've been searching around & learned there are different types of automatic models, some that require a float switch & others that turn on every 2 minutes & use resistance on the impeller(if submerged) to decide to keep pumping. My friend Julio(Abracadabra) discovered that the geniuses at Yamaha put the bilge on the SHO/FZ on the same circuit as the fuel pump, so if the bilge pump shorts & burns the fuse you also have no fuel. What I'm thinking of doing is putting it on it's own circuit along with my AFR guage & GPS, & installing a switch to toggle between manual(always on) & automatic.
    Attwood 7615A3 Bilge Pump Switch Three Way

+1

I wired in a 800gph on my 1300 setup by splicing in a connector as well. Work fines not too much current draw on the wires...

Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    I wired in a 800gph on my 1300 setup by splicing in a connector as well. Work fines not too much current draw on the wires...
    for the record:
    hey scott, is the oem pump just a pump? I understand the ecu turns on the pump when you insert the lanyard, and it reactivates the pump when you remove it. What exactly keeps the pump on during the ride. I have heard/read that the pump cycles every 2.5 minutes, just never heard the pump while riding for obvious reasons...
    so is it a water sensing pump, or strictly activated by the ecu with timed cycles?

+1
    McMaster has the Rule 500 automatic/manual for $54.

3022K11

+1
    The oem pump is manual......it is on all the time the igniton is on & runs for 30 secs after ignition is switched off (on FX..not sure about GPR).
    The automatic pumps don't usually last as long.....the float tends to jam...especially if out in the rough alot or wave jumping!

+1
    Note to self: next time a bilge pump starts to crap out replace it immediately. Long story short, if the pump shorts & blows the 20a fuse it completely disables the ski...no start, no gauges, no nothin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    for the record:
    hey scott, is the oem pump just a pump? I understand the ecu turns on the pump when you insert the lanyard, and it reactivates the pump when you remove it. What exactly keeps the pump on during the ride. I have heard/read that the pump cycles every 2.5 minutes, just never heard the pump while riding for obvious reasons...
    so is it a water sensing pump, or strictly activated by the ecu with timed cycles?
    It's definately not controlled by the ECU, otherwise it would have a 3rd wire. I'm pretty sure it's the same as the other Rule automatic models they sell, just has a Yami connector on it. It's self controlled & turns on every 2.5 min as long as it has power(engine running). If it senses resistance on the impeller it keeps running, otherwise shuts off until the next cycle.

+1
    Ya, the bilge fuse is tied into the ignition so if the bilge doesn't work then you can't run the ski. The bilge is not controlled by the ECU.

So your new bilge pump blew the fuse?

Thread Information