Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    19

    96 XP cheap mods

    I'v got a stock 96 XP, and looking to do a few cheap mods to it. I'd like to make it run with a stock XPL, am I dreaming? Anyhow I've got a couple Proks coming, and need to rejet the carbs. Altitude 1000' - what jetting suggested? Any other cheap mods. XO prop? Would a rev limiter do any good on this?

    This isn't my main ski, I've an 02 RX, but the XP is going to be a play machine!

    Thanks
    DT


  2. #2
    96 XP W/ PROKS

    MAIN=142.5
    PILOT=75 217.5 Total Jetting
    N&S=2.0 W/ 80 GRAM (Black)
    P-OFF=21psi
    HS=1
    LS=1 1/4~ 1 1/2

  3. #3
    r&d 85/88 nozzles will give you a tad bit more top end. groupK's reading got a 1.5 mph increase in top speed, which is what r&d claims they will do

  4. #4
    steach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rock Tavern, NY
    Posts
    3,174
    +1
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by David_HX_RXP View Post
    96 XP W/ PROKS

    MAIN=142.5
    PILOT=75 217.5 Total Jetting
    N&S=2.0 W/ 80 GRAM (Black)
    P-OFF=21psi
    HS=1
    LS=1 1/4~ 1 1/2
    I agree air flow/jetting is the best bang-for buck.

    I had good results from gutting the stock airbox of all but one fine screen (removing the 4-6 other layers of screen, fine and course)Stock

    HS 142.5 (3/4 turn out) Stock
    LS 75 (1 turn out)
    1.5 N/S Stock w/80G spring

    -total cost ~$10 with BIG difference

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    19
    Thanks guys, looks like what I need. Anybody got any R&D nozzles for sale?

  6. #6
    your going to get modest improvements with those changes but your working in the right direction.
    xo prop will help a tad but your going to have to invest some change if you want to keep up with the 951 imo.
    I have a 96 xp and I'm going the other way and ignored top end cuz I wanted wanted more "umph" on the bottom, and i'm pretty much happy running in the 55 mph range on the top end. I think I was 55.8 last time i gps'd
    FA, RFI Pump, Factory1, and looking into a swirl...
    I rode a 951 XPL (2001) that was stock cept for the prox, and my buddy with a dam fast 800 xp could never catch me on the top end, but he blew me away on the holeshot.
    if i had the coin and I wanted to focus on top end, then i'd go the route he did, novi46, head with just enough compression to stay on pump gas, factory2,xo prop for starters then you start getting into the electronics, it adds up fast !

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    19
    Spim, sounds like a GSX RFI pump will help too. How much diff did that make on yours? I'm hoping with the Proks and RFI pump, she'll run good?

  8. #8
    flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mahomet, Il. USA
    Posts
    6,004
    +1
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by dtfly View Post
    Thanks guys, looks like what I need. Anybody got any R&D nozzles for sale?
    theres a set for sale in the classifieds

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by dtfly View Post
    Spim, sounds like a GSX RFI pump will help too. How much diff did that make on yours? I'm hoping with the Proks and RFI pump, she'll run good?
    again, can't say it will help your top speed more than just a tad, if thats what you really are looking for, the pump is more for low end and rough water pickup. Will you notice a difference,, yes,, but depending on how hard your riding style, it won't be like.. WOW... If you ride hard, fast & crazy all the time and love the water, then all improvements will be appreciated and you can make the most out of what you have. If you just wanna go faster.. well once you spend the first $100 chit starts getting expensive..
    but there are rec riders, and then there are REC riders... there's a difference.
    anyhoo
    i agree with the earlier posts, Air and Jets are probably the most cost effective.
    then, probably prop, pipe pump, carbs, then etc etc...
    with pipe you get all kinds of options, its been covered at length here several times before.
    but once you get past FA/Jets ($100 ish) most of your options are over $100 $200, and so on...
    Like they say,, speed is expensive.. How fast to you want to spend ?
    do the air/jets, see how it feels, then start looking around for a great price on a good prop, if your not in a hurry you can save $70 by looking around or getting lucky

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Spimothy Leary View Post
    again, can't say it will help your top speed more than just a tad, if thats what you really are looking for, the pump is more for low end and rough water pickup. Will you notice a difference,, yes,, but depending on how hard your riding style, it won't be like.. WOW... If you ride hard, fast & crazy all the time and love the water, then all improvements will be appreciated and you can make the most out of what you have. If you just wanna go faster.. well once you spend the first $100 chit starts getting expensive..
    but there are rec riders, and then there are REC riders... there's a difference.
    anyhoo
    i agree with the earlier posts, Air and Jets are probably the most cost effective.
    then, probably prop, pipe pump, carbs, then etc etc...
    with pipe you get all kinds of options, its been covered at length here several times before.
    but once you get past FA/Jets ($100 ish) most of your options are over $100 $200, and so on...
    Like they say,, speed is expensive.. How fast to you want to spend ?
    do the air/jets, see how it feels, then start looking around for a great price on a good prop, if your not in a hurry you can save $70 by looking around or getting lucky
    You're right, I've decided to just enjoy it however fast it goes. Don't want to turn this ski into an unreliable money pit!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Restoring/Modding 96 XP
    By SkierMan in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-02-2015, 07:04 PM
  2. FS Modded 96 XP
    By chantra in forum Sea Doo 2 Stroke Skis
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-28-2011, 12:34 PM
  3. 96 xp mod list for winter project - thoughts?
    By Deanrw3 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-27-2008, 09:13 AM
  4. Cheap Mods for 96 GTX
    By 96gtxdoo in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-12-2007, 09:51 PM
  5. Cheap Mods
    By Totallyblown in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 03-13-2006, 06:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •