Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cat temp alarm going off even after installing D-plate

Rode my GPR for the first time since rebuilding the engine and installing D-plate and sensor. Ski ran great but after about an hour the cat temp alarm went off. Why?

+1
    did you install the resistor plug in to replace the original sensor?

Yes, I did install the resistor. It was fine the first hour or so then it started going off. It was doing this before the cat was removed. When I pulled the exhaust off to remove the cat I found the cat had broken apart. I think this is what caused the center cylinder to fail. Compression was down to 70PSI in this cylinder. Over the winter I had the center cylinder and piston replaced as well as the D-plate and sensor installed.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by yamadood View Post
    Yes, I did install the resistor. It was fine the first hour or so then it started going off. It was doing this before the cat was removed. When I pulled the exhaust off to remove the cat I found the cat had broken apart. I think this is what caused the center cylinder to fail. Compression was down to 70PSI in this cylinder. Over the winter I had the center cylinder and piston replaced as well as the D-plate and sensor installed.
    If it's a 05 or newer the resistor that riva and R&D sells does not work you have to go to radio shack and get a 2.2 k ohm resistor.

I did get the resistor from Riva, but the ski is a 2000 GPR. Any other ideas?

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    I did get the resistor from Riva, but the ski is a 2000 GPR. Any other ideas?
    ohm it out to be sure, And check the factor harness connector for corrosion.

...also, double check there's nothing wrong with the other sensor located further down the exhaust pipe chamber near the water box. That sensor detects water restriction/temperature I believe, and maybe something is expanding creating a restriction of sorts.

exactly which temp alarm was sounding? was the cause of the original problem found with certainty?
    was this engine then pressure tested after repair?
    a few things to check with so little info is not easy for internet repair procedure...
    whats the truth, the whole truth?

It is definately the cat temp sensor alarm because the little muffler icon on the display is flashing, not the temp icon. I can only assume that the failed cat converter was the cause of the engine failure. Front and rear cyliders were at 115 PSI and the center cylinder was down to 75 PSI. When the head was pulled the piston had a small piece missing. That cylinder and piston was replaced and new rings were installed on the other 2 cylinders. Now all 3 cylinders are at 120PSI. As far as pressure testing the engine, if youre not talking about compression then I dont know what that is and doubt it was done. The oil pump was removed and ski was converted to pre-mix during the repair. Hope this info helps out.

Also what ohm should the bypass sensor read?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information