"Inherited" a free 96 sl700, is it worth messing with

Hey all, New the the forum and PWC's.

I have been given a 96 sl 700. It hasn't ran in a few years and I am not sure why in was originally "parked" but I'm wondering what you all thought about bringing it back to life. The Hull seems good and the engine compartment appears complete and unmolested. I am new to the pwc thing but I've rebuilt many dirtbikes and fourwheelers, and done some outboard repair. I'm not afraid of scattering this thing across the garage and putting it back together. I know its gonna need carb work and fuel system cleaning and all the usual stuff but, it sure seems like a lot of wiring for a two smoker, and the inside of the cdi box is kinda corroded. Curious as to how much of the stuff can be eliminated, if any. I don't mind mixing fuel or doing without the bells and whistles, just want to make it run on a shoestring budget. I oiled the cylinders with a little wd-40 and had to jump the solenoid to get it to turn over with no spark plugs installed. It has about 100 psi for compression in both cylinders and no ignition spark. Would you all mess with it or would you forget it? I really don't even want to spend the money on a manual if its a lost cause.
    Thanks
    Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

The SL700 is about as basic as a PWC gets. Every part is in there for a reason. They are a fun machine for the water, but you need to decide whether you want to do the job properly, or not at all.

That engine puts out almost 100HP from 700cc. It will not tolerate being run in poor tune or with problems.

Click below for a good place to start work

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    It doesn't sound like you're up to the task at hand.

Tear it down, maybe you'll learn a thing or 2, but then sell the parts.

up to the task? Your an idiot. Thanks for the advice.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    It doesn't sound like you're up to the task at hand...

Something going on Kevin?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbasimms View Post
    up to the task? Your an idiot. Thanks for the advice.
    You're looking for advice, don't want to spend $$ on a free ski and I'M the idiot?????.....

You should totally fix that ski.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

Something going on Kevin?
    No, nothing going on.

Bubba here gets a free ski with no spark, unknown damage, first gen. elec stator, corroded elec box, 100 psi, been sitting for years, and wants to do it on a shoe string budget????

Thinks the ski has excessive wiring, and wants to know if he can eliminate some of it? No, he's not up to the task!!!

He has no idea what he's in for $$$ wise. I tell him to tear it down so he may learn something about PWC's, and then sell parts to make few bucks, and now he wants to insult people in only his second post??? "F" him!!!!!!!!!

+1

Banned User
    +1
    First thing to do is download the repair manual for this ski. Thoroughly read it and make every check on the ski to figure out what is good and what is bad. Then determine if you want to spend what it will take to fix it or not. If you dont want to fix it, Im sure there are guys here who would be willing to buy it from you if its in good shape. The Polaris manual can be found for free online somewhere. I dont know if Im allowed to post the link though.

I transcend race Hombre! TBone14's Avatar
    +1
    Based on the description you posted it sounds like you'll have to put more into it than it is worth. My first rebuild (a Kawasaki) cost me $400 just to do some misc parts and an upper rebuild. I agree with xlint sell the parts and use the money to buy something closer to running.

Plus, I know where you can get a really nice 1996 SL700 that is running!

I too bought a "project ski" to fix up, and have also torn down a lot of dirtbikes but ski's, I'm learning, are a lot different. If you are looking to get it running to flip it and make some cash, then it doesn't sound like its worth it, especially if the electrical box is corroded. But if you have the time and enjoy hunting for parts on eBay then it can be quite rewarding. I think that is the "task" xlint89 was referring to. There is a ton of knowledge among the members of this forum who are always willing to help you out.

Thread Information