Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Repair front hull damage from outside only?

Hi,

This is regarding a 2006 gp1300r. I have hull damage up front around the eye(3 cracks, one almost all the way through), and was wondering if the only way to repair this is from the outside? I see no way in from the inside since the hull is built up with what i believe is the computer mounted on it. The shops that I spoke with all mentioned going in from the inside by removing the styrofoam, but I don't think they realized that the styrofoam was only a few inches deep with hull right behind it.

Thanks.

+1
    the only way is from the outside unless you want to cut an access hole but i would do it from the outside.

+1
    Post pics of the damage.

i just used some marine tex to fix a crack in the back of my gpr. came out pretty good i sanded out the bad and did like 3 coats sanding after each coat. going to take it to a body shop soon so they can finish it with some body filler or something and paint it. pics on my facebook link of it so far.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Dubb View Post
    Hi,
    but I don't think they realized that the styrofoam was only a few inches deep with hull right behind it.
    I dont think it can be done from the inside.
    See link for what lies between hull sections. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/yama...placement.html

here are some pics. A lot of the damage is close to the eye. The one that really concerns me is right above the eye, but i don't really think that is very deep at all. Do you think they will need to remove the eye to repair any of this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5370.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	231145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9201.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	231146   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8247.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	231147   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0197.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	231148  

+1
    MY SKI HAS A WORSE CRACK THAN THAT AND DOESNT LEAK AT ALL!!! u should just get some marine tex from a local marine store and repair it your self, i had similar damage to an old ski of mine and took it to a paint shop, guy charged me like $300!!!! a small bottle of marine tex is like $19 bucks, u mix it, turns into a putty, really easy to put on, let dry then sand it and paint it, simple..good luck with ur ski

+1
    here are some pics. A lot of the damage is close to the eye. The one that really concerns me is right above the eye, but i don't really think that is very deep at all. Do you think they will need to remove the eye to repair any of this?
    You should be able to remove the hook easily to investigate. The link I attached was done ONLY because the bolts broke inside the hull insert.

To remove the bow eye; apply heat to the bolts using a soldering iron(to break the loctite) prior to attempting to loosen them.

Oh. so there aren't nuts on the inside? It simply screws into the hull? I was thinking you had to hold a nut from the inside to get the screw out.

+1
    Oh. so there aren't nuts on the inside? It simply screws into the hull? I was thinking you had to hold a nut from the inside to get the screw out.
    Sometimes when you try to remove the screws the insert turns in the hull. if they do you can try putting a pry bar in the eye and putting a little pressure on it wile trying to remove the bolts. good luck they can be tough to get out sometimes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information