Vein drain question!!!

was reading this old thread...http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...php?t=11109and was wondering on this .. We have stater veins streighten out the flow in the pumps, and sometime's the bowl area ...,(most of the 90's ski's) to channel the flow yet again.... IS THIS NOT WASTING ENERGY????(water slaming into the stater's fin wall's)... why not have the stater fins tuned to a more optimal angle than stock for thrust?? IMT a vortex effect would help in the top speed area.I can understand it not helping hole shot as the rear water flow, at HOLE SHOT would not be as great and by channeling ,would benifite from that rear water helping to pull fresh into a pump... any thoughts??? MAYBE A TUNEABLE ADJUSTABLE STATER??
    Last edited by w/rpm500; 11-14-2006 at 05:26 PM.

....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1
    ....you would need a computer program to do all of the calculations to find the optimium angle, and a phD in hydrodynamics.

Some of us know what happened to the switch pitch GM auto trans torq convertor, I think a variable watercraft stator would suffer the same fate.

IHMO you have to bypass water at higher speeds or reduce inlet area.
    Last edited by J-ME; 11-14-2006 at 07:30 PM.

I have seen many Gpr stators in operation with the famous 5:00 o-clock broken vein,and seems to not hurt much on top end.I'm always tryin crazy chit so I broke the whole damn vein off down stream past the bend,and smoothed everthing up I have a base line of 72 mph After I try my blueprinted 05 pump(hoping for 75),I will go back and test the theory.I have plenty of spare stators so If I see any gain I will probably tear it back down and break 2 more off so every other vien is shorter with no bend.I hope I get the weather for testing soon,wind warnings tomorrow Hope this is not all IN VEIN EWE know what I mean?

I can see where a engineer would be needed, but then again we take a cressent wrench to bench bend our impellers.. my thought this is not the most perfect way, lol... h204,you may be developing something here..Hell how about a heating and twist ?? this would elongate and bend the fins .., heat it up, then hold one side and give it a steady twist at the hub..would this work or would this be to much for a casting to withstand? in an oven and steady tension applied for a good amout of time may do it...As per a thought on a swirl effect...Take a speed queen cloths-washer pump apart.. a swirl was built into the housing at the exhaust side of the pump(IMT this scavanges water out more efficiently,which is what we want our pumps to do..)

+1
    Look at this bad boy, I'd like to see the stator section in it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	webjet.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	10711  

Quote Originally Posted by J-ME View Post
    Look at this bad boy, I'd like to see the stator section in it.
    I have a friend I met back in the early 80's when I was propin out my hot rod bass boat who happens to own one of the biggest prop shops in the US.He was supposed to introduce me to a guy who builds the pumps for ALL the Drag jet boats hear in town.My back has been out so I was pretty much totally down all last week,but I'm all over-under,and goin thru it.

+1
    Wish ya better H20!

Give us a report when you get back out in the "field".

Quote Originally Posted by J-ME View Post
    Wish ya better H20!

Give us a report when you get back out in the "field".
    I'm out standing in my field now
    I'm just waiting on the weather to give me a break
    Thanks J-me Will do

that boat looks like a rapids racer ... them things haul serious azz!!

If you look at a stator hub you can see that these veins are bent/curved already .. IMT yami built these for'all-round 'use. If we could fine tune like an impeller you should gain more speed ... how about another idea to chew..Releave the high pressure area across the vein .. cross drill about an inch or more, down the vein face( ok thoughts on where ?? at the hub or at the housing side, where IMI ,you would see gain's with this) .. we know a ski generally benefits from a set back impeller so I can see it not closer than that...Any one ever try this ?????I remember guys trying the ride plate 'drill' a few years ago... it flopped.
    Last edited by w/rpm500; 11-16-2006 at 04:34 PM.

Thread Information