Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

wanted; used 750 engine

Hi guys

Just looking at options.
    -If i ship my engine to America from South Africa for an exchange it is going to cost an arm and a leg.

-If i don't give an exchange engine in, the cost on the re-con engine goes up by 400 USD.

-My third option would be to buy a cheap used 750 engine and use that as an exchange engine on the reconditioned engine.
    Any idea if something like that is available and for how much?

+1
    The first thing you need to consider is do you have all of the surrounding hardware to support the engine - cdi, exhaust, intake, carbs (remember these are short blocks) as I recall you mentioned it had a domestic red engine conversion done. If you do then work out your one way shipping fee and see if it is economically ok. I wouldn't bother shipping back a core, I would probably find a good blown engine on ebay (or maybe here) real cheap and have that shipped as your core USA to USA so to speak. You will find that is cheaper than sending an engine from SA.

SBT is about the cheapest at about 600-700 bucks an engine, there is also pwcengine.com, atlanticjetsports.com (Jim offers awesome shipping rates). You may even want to consider a 780 engine, if you are going to go through with it why not get something with a little more power.

@ urugol

Jip. all the original hardware is there. (going back to standard on the ski)

What you are saying about shipping the old engine from here to USA is exactly the reason why i want to buy one there (USA) and send that one in as an exchange on a re-con engine. Maybe i can save a bit on the $400 SBT is charging me for not having a core to trade.
    I am waiting to get a quote from them on shipping, but their prices seems to be good.

How readily available is polaris spares in Australia? Just wondering since it is a real pain in the but to get in S.A.

p.s. What do you need to change to fit a 780?

+1
    It's not easy to get parts in Australia, but the world is a global village now. Getting parts from USA is like getting them shipped here, the only difference is that parts here are at least 3 to 4 times the price of what I can get them in USA, even more when you consider the deals you can do with people on this forum

The 780 engine will give you about 10-15HP over the 750 in stock form and it would certainly be a better platform in my opinion. My knowledge of the fuji blue engines (650,750, 780) is limited, and there are many members here far more qualified to answer your question, however I do know that they all share the same bottom end, ie crank. The 780 may have a different magneto stator, I'm not sure but I suspect since the CDI is different perhaps it is. The real difference is in the top end, different bore pistons give the different cc sizes. Different top end = different intake manifold, carbs, exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe. So it may not be viable if you need to get all of this stuff, but you may be surprised how much you can pick it up for. All of the pump parts, stay the same so no probs there.

There is no way of knowing what model you have as the model number is not stamped to your hull anywhere (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).

You also have a top looking ski, so why not put the best platform in it. Just my opinion, there's nothing wrong with going with a 750 either you just gotta weigh up your options.

What happened to the 900 engine that was in it before? A lot of guys here were keen on seeing it as it is not a common conversion.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I'm not sure it would actually be cheaper to buy a used engine as a core and have that shipped VS. just paying the extra $400. I'm glad to see you're doing your homework first though.

SBT is kinda picky. If anything on the used core is deemed "not useable", they're going to charge you the core fee anyways. I'd hate to see you waste $$ on a used engine, just for them to say the cases were bad and still charged you the additional $400.

The 780 will drop right into your ski, it will be extremely close to the hull on the exhaust pipe side. (not a major problem) You will need to get the 780 exhaust manifold, a 780 CDI, 780 impeller, and change the carb jets. Really not alot of stuff to gain another 12 HP over the 750 engine.

I'm with Urugol about checking out all options. I know you are really into building that ski, but you're about to sink close to $1,000 USD plus shipping in an engine alone. Would that $$ be better spent towards another running ski????

You said parts are pretty hard to come by in SA. Is there a demand for the parts you have already? You can sell them and put that $$ towards the cost of a newer one along with the $$ you'd be saving on the engine.

Just trying to help you check out all options. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by urugol View Post
    It's not easy to get parts in Australia, but the world is a global village now. Getting parts from USA is like getting them shipped here, the only difference is that parts here are at least 3 to 4 times the price of what I can get them in USA, even more when you consider the deals you can do with people on this forum

The 780 engine will give you about 10-15HP over the 750 in stock form and it would certainly be a better platform in my opinion. My knowledge of the fuji blue engines (650,750, 780) is limited, and there are many members here far more qualified to answer your question, however I do know that they all share the same bottom end, ie crank. The 780 may have a different magneto stator, I'm not sure but I suspect since the CDI is different perhaps it is. The real difference is in the top end, different bore pistons give the different cc sizes. Different top end = different intake manifold, carbs, exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe. So it may not be viable if you need to get all of this stuff, but you may be surprised how much you can pick it up for. All of the pump parts, stay the same so no probs there.

There is no way of knowing what model you have as the model number is not stamped to your hull anywhere (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).

You also have a top looking ski, so why not put the best platform in it. Just my opinion, there's nothing wrong with going with a 750 either you just gotta weigh up your options.

What happened to the 900 engine that was in it before? A lot of guys here were keen on seeing it as it is not a common conversion.
    Just for the record, sbt will only exchange "apples for apples" so if you want a 780 then you must send them 780 cores, also for the record, the top case of a 780 has different porting than the 750.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Thester is correct. But if he's not giving them a core, I would think he could get any engine he wants. (just a guess)

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Thester is correct. But if he's not giving them a core, I would think he could get any engine he wants. (just a guess)
    I agree

Good grief!!!
    Just got the quote back on shipping.. Almost $1000 USD for shipping alone! And then the engine itself is another $1100. It is simply not worth spending this kind of money on this ski, I will have to source only the broken and worn parts and do the repair myself.
    My biggest problem would be to get a crank, crankbearings and piston. The other stuff isn't that expensive to ship.
    Might take a bit longer but the ski will see the water again one day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information