Decifering CDI's, magnetos, and coils for different engine applications

I have 3 polaris jet skis, all with different size engines in them, and I have 4 boxes full of spare parts for all of them....

I have a 1996 Hurricane 700 installed in a sl 750 hull (currently running on update kit with the service bulletin wiring change for warm starts)

I also have a 1996 SL 900, installed in an sl 700 hull.

And I have a 1995 750 Fugi Engine installed in an slt 700 hull.

I had ordered a bunch of spare stators, CDI's, Flywheels, and Coils with spark plug wires, for back up, as I rent the skis out daily.

My ex mechanic put all of the parts together in one box, and nothing is marked for identification.

Half the CDI's dont even have a p/n number on them, and i can only find one 3-digit number on all the stators.... I bought 3 update kits, and only 1 has a 447 or 448 written on the back in white pen... so I know at least 1 or 2 CDI's was not marked properly and is mixed up in the batch...

How can I decifer the difference between the electrical components in the 900's, 750 Fugi's, the 700 Originals, and the 700 update kits just by inspecting the parts themselves? Is that even possible?

Also, will testing the wrong CDI, on the wrong stator AND/OR coil, damage any of the electrical components?

I need a method of organizing and seperating these parts for each engine, without damaging anything...

Can someone send me pics and discriptions of the electrical parts for each engine type.... im lost...

I could send pics of each part if that would help....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rowdyricerocket View Post
    ... I had ordered a bunch of spare stators, CDI's, Flywheels, and Coils with spark plug wires, for back up, as I rent the skis out daily.

My ex mechanic put all of the parts together in one box, and nothing is marked for identification.

Half the CDI's don't even have a p/n number on them, and i can only find one 3-digit number on all the stators.... I bought 3 update kits, and only 1 has a 447 or 448 written on the back in white pen... so I know at least 1 or 2 CDI's was not marked properly and is mixed up in the batch...

How can I decipher the difference between the electrical components in the 900's, 750 Fuji's, the 700 Originals, and the 700 update kits just by inspecting the parts themselves? Is that even possible?

Also, will testing the wrong CDI, on the wrong stator AND/OR coil, damage any of the electrical components?

I need a method of organizing and separating these parts for each engine, without damaging anything...

Can someone send me pics and descriptions of the electrical parts for each engine type.... im lost...

I could send pics of each part if that would help....
    That might be the thing to do.

Upload or link to the photos. One item per photo. Use close-up mode so we can clearly see the details. Front and back views, plus any other views that seem pertinent. And any notes you may have regarding each part.

Let's see what you have there.

Oh yes, welcome to the Hulk

Tell us about your rental fleet. How many, which models? Where are you located?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk rowdy.

Those are some interesting combos you have there.

Posting pics will help us identify what you have as mentioned above.

Please post some pics of the skis with the engines installed if you could too please. I'd really liike to see how they were done since many guys have asked if it's even possible to do. Thanks

Sure, I will post pics as soon as I can... all the polaris hulls have a second space for the front engine mounts, regardless of what make/model you have, so mix/matching engines is easy if you have the creativity to do a little fiberglassing... every engine/hull combo I have, is a backyard rebuild, and so far, I have 100-500 hours on each unit, with little, to no major issues... (other then a korean duo who smashed a jet ski hull to peices, racing intoxicated)....

This should be easy - but post pics so it will be easier.

The 700 and 900 stators and CDIs should look very similar, except the 900 will have an extra wire for the additional trigger coil (since it has one more cylinder than the 700). The 750 stators should look different than 700/900 ones. If you post pictures, we should be able to pick them out for you.

The domestic CDIs will be the same way - the 700 will have one less trigger wire than the 900. There should be a part number written the CDI case itself.

Thread Information