Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Katrina truth finally coming to light

Looks to me that the Governor of Lousiana and the mayor of NO have some explaining to do.

Read this, it is well worth it!

On Friday night before the storm hit Max Mayfield of the National Hurricane Center took the unprecedented action of calling Nagin and Blanco personally to plead with them to begin MANDATORY evacuation of NO and they said they’d take it under consideration. This was after the NOAA buoy 240 miles south had recorded 68’ waves before it was destroyed.

President Bush spent Friday afternoon and evening in meetings with his advisors and administrators drafting all of the paperwork required for a state to request federal assistance (and not be in violation of the Posse Comitatus Act or having to enact the Insurgency Act). Just before midnight Friday evening the President called Governor Blanco and pleaded with her to sign the request papers so the federal government and the military could legally begin mobilization and call up. He was told that they didn’t think it necessary for the federal government to be involved yet. After the President’s final call to the governor she held meetings with her staff to discuss the political ramifications of bringing federal forces. It was decided that if they allowed federal assistance it would make it look as if they had failed so it was agreed upon that the feds would not be invited in.

Saturday before the storm hit the President again called Blanco and Nagin requesting they please sign the papers requesting federal assistance, that they declare the state an emergency area, and begin mandatory evacuation. After a personal plea from the President Nagin agreed to order an evacuation, but it would not be a full mandatory evacuation, and the governor still refused to sign the papers requesting and authorizing federal action. In frustration the President declared the area a national disaster area before the state of Louisiana did so he could legally begin some advanced preparations. Rumor has it that the President’s legal advisers were looking into the ramifications of using the insurgency act to bypass the Constitutional requirement that a state request federal aid before the federal government can move into state with troops – but that had not been done since 1906 and the Constitutionality of it was called into question to use before the disaster.

Throw in that over half the federal aid of the past decade to NO for levee construction, maintenance, and repair was diverted to fund a marina and support the gambling ships. Toss in the investigation that will look into why the emergency preparedness plan submitted to the federal government for funding and published on the city’s website was never implemented and in fact may have been bogus for the purpose of gaining additional federal funding as we now learn that the organizations identified in the plan were never contacted or coordinating into any planning – though the document implies that they were.

The suffering people of NO need to be asking some hard questions as do we all, but they better start with why Blanco refused to even sign the multi-state mutual aid pack activation documents until Wednesday which further delayed the legal deployment of National Guard from adjoining states. Or maybe ask why Nagin keeps harping that the President should have commandeered 500 Greyhound busses to help him when according to his own emergency plan and documents he claimed to have over 500 busses at his disposal to use between the local school busses and the city transportation busses – but he never raised a finger to prepare them or activate them.

Nagin and Blanco were yelling awfully load after the disaster and I think rightfully so.

That being said, if they had yelled half of as loud prior to the hurricane much of this would have been avoided. We all knew for decades that New Orleans we a ticking time bomb. There has been tons of publicity but it never became a prority. We were living on barrowed time. And it is possible that it could have made it another 50 years or more, who knows? Buy why take that chance with so much at stake and not make sure the levys could take a cat 5?

The hurricane was over before the levy broke that wiped out NO. Most of the rest of it could not have been avoided.

how do you prepare for a storm like that ? and I understand that there were people that could not evacuate, but everybody was told it was coming and it was bad so leave as fast as they could, but like years in the past people rode out the canes , this one just happened to be a bad one . Something I've never understood is why would any one want to live next to the ocean in a city that is below sea level ?

Jack:

They were yelling, that is for sure!!

What they conveniently leave out though, is that help could have been there much faster if they would have ACTED before the hurricane like the president was asking them to do.

They should not have jobs after all of this is over.

I am not a Bush fan at all but what I do know is that in this case they had plenty of time to get better prepared. And if Bush offered help prior and it was not taken, heads should roll.

I think that Hilary Clinton will be heading up an investigation when things settle down. I am sure she will try to blame republicans but hopefully it will be an bi or non partisian commision that will look to learn something instead of just going for politics. For a major US city to be wiped out like this is inexuseable.

Quote Originally Posted by jack
    ..............I think that Hilary Clinton will be heading up an investigation when things settle down. I am sure she will try to blame republicans but hopefully it will be an bi or non partisian commision that will look to learn something instead of just going for politics. For a major US city to be wiped out like this is inexuseable.

Oh, this will be a political thing alright. The press is on the case right now to hang repub's..........

+1
    Whoever is at fault should hang....all the way up to the president if need be! I will never forget the head of FEMA telling reporters on national TV that he didn't realize how bad the damage was....now this was 2 days after the storm passed. Don't they have TV's in Washington ? It should be mandatory for every politician to watch a news broadcast at least once a day ! The day before Bush finally got to tour the area by helicopter, he did a fly by with Air Force 1..a 747, bet he saw a lot at 35,000 feet and 500 mph !! When all the investigations are over and all the burocrats submit their 2,000 page reports, you can be sure that the blame will be passed down the chain of command and some 'nobody' will take all the heat. The big wigs will come out smelling like roses wearing their phoney smiles !!

Richard

FEMA had some things in place pre-storm but I agree, his comments on TV were inexcusable....however the head of FEMA was not solely to blame.

If they expect the Feds to get everyone out in 2-3 days afterwards, how come they didn't get everyone out the 2 days prior to the storm? Hell, at least then there were roads and infrastructure in place....comandeer the school buses and evac people to the Astrodome then...

In FEMA's defense, they do say that they need 72-96 hours to respond in their documents and as stated the federal government cannot intervene without a request from the governor...those who say the national guard/feds should have just gone in know nothing about our government and the concept of checks/balances.

Yes Richard, Bush flying over NO was ridiculous...but you know as well as I do it was a PR stunt...no different than any other President would have done. If it were Clinton, you'd be patting him on the back for "caring".

IMO the head of FEMA, the governor of LA, the Mayor of NO and Wolf Blitzer should all go....and any other idiot trying to turn this into a 'race' issue.

+1
    Snkypete; I agree, with the exception of "were it Clinton, I'd be patting him on the back" Totally WRONG. I didn't vote for him either of the 2 times he ran for the White House.

As for FEMA, no one expected them to be able to evacuate the city "overnight" after the storm. But they could have had water airlifted to the people as soon as the storm passed, not 3-4 days later !

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by way2fast
    Snkypete; I agree, with the exception of "were it Clinton, I'd be patting him on the back" Totally WRONG. I didn't vote for him either of the 2 times he ran for the White House.

As for FEMA, no one expected them to be able to evacuate the city "overnight" after the storm. But they could have had water airlifted to the people as soon as the storm passed, not 3-4 days later !

Richard
    Who could have airlifted the water to them Richard? By law the military could not get involved until 3-4 days later....we've been down this road and the initial post makes that pretty clear.

Whether or not you voted for Clinton isn't really relevant, I'm just saying that bashing Bush for some idiotic photo-op that is practically mandatory isn't really fair. I mean, how much $ was wasted on his two trips to the area??? Why so he can hug some little girl and then get back in his plane? It's politics, nothing more unfortunately. Perception means more than reality.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information