Unhappy Bought 08 ultra 250x, RPM's ok but low top speed issue

Howdy all,

First post...Just purchased an 08 ultra 250x and dropped it in Lake Travis a few days ago. It runs smooth, pulls good (not as hard as expected) and top speed was only 42mph. I'm using the orange key and FPO was indicated on startup. RPM's was 7400 max at 42mph. It only has 28 hours.

So... I took her into the Georgetown Kawasaki dealership and had them do a service and check it out to see if they could see any issues. They put new plugs in it, fluids/filter, basic service. They said everything looks good, intake looks good, no codes, etc...

Got it back today and dropped her in Travis. Feels stronger now for sure but only pulls to about 45mph. It might go a little faster but the waves were pretty choppy and I was getting beat up so I shut her down a bit. Clearly, this is no where near 65-68 MPH.

What gives? Service could not find anything, it runs super smooth and feels strong. It just feels like it my old GP1200 or Seadoo XP. It feels more like a 120/130 HP PWC rather than a 250HP PWC. The only thing that service could think of was perhaps the key was coded wrong and not allowing the engine to perform at it's highest level.

Anyone out there know what I should look at? Have similar issue that's been resolved?

Thanks a bunch!

if the key was not prgramed well it wont do 7000 rpms so it seems good.try to clean the intercooler and see if the belt is good.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cratica View Post
    Howdy all,

First post...Just purchased an 08 ultra 250x and dropped it in Lake Travis a few days ago. It runs smooth, pulls good (not as hard as expected) and top speed was only 42mph. I'm using the orange key and FPO was indicated on startup. RPM's was 7400 max at 42mph. It only has 28 hours.

So... I took her into the Georgetown Kawasaki dealership and had them do a service and check it out to see if they could see any issues. They put new plugs in it, fluids/filter, basic service. They said everything looks good, intake looks good, no codes, etc...

Got it back today and dropped her in Travis. Feels stronger now for sure but only pulls to about 45mph. It might go a little faster but the waves were pretty choppy and I was getting beat up so I shut her down a bit. Clearly, this is no where near 65-68 MPH.

What gives? Service could not find anything, it runs super smooth and feels strong. It just feels like it my old GP1200 or Seadoo XP. It feels more like a 120/130 HP PWC rather than a 250HP PWC. The only thing that service could think of was perhaps the key was coded wrong and not allowing the engine to perform at it's highest level.

Anyone out there know what I should look at? Have similar issue that's been resolved?

Thanks a bunch!
    If you say that your rpm is around 7400-7500rpm, your doing more then 45mph, where have you seen 45mph? on the speedometer or GPS?

Yes, RPM is 7400, speed is 45mph at most. Before service was 42. Using speedo from ski and while it may be innaccurate, it's not 20 mph off. Also, it feels like 42/45, definately not 60/65 in any way, shape or form.

They checked the belt and tension and said it was good to go. Don't know about the intercooler.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cratica View Post
    Yes, RPM is 7400, speed is 45mph at most. Before service was 42. Using speedo from ski and while it may be innaccurate, it's not 20 mph off. Also, it feels like 42/45, definately not 60/65 in any way, shape or form.

They checked the belt and tension and said it was good to go. Don't know about the intercooler.
    if your running 7400 rpm and you're sure you are only going 45 then your prop is cavitating, but don't ever base your result on the(dreamometer) it can be very innaccurate

+1
    if he needs new prop he will still reach 60 plus once hooked up.

+1
    sounds like prop to me with those rpms

If your turning 7000 plus rpms focus on your jet pump.Its direct drive.that means your impeller is turning as fast as it should be so it has to be cavitateing or slipping

Banned User
    +1
    My bet is the speedo is whacked out go get a gps and report back 7400 rpm should be doing 62+

You also need to check the boost gauge at WOT it should be 11+ if gps and boost check out then has to be in the prop. Hope your pump bearings aren't going out.

Thread Information