Help removing 1100 flywheel and PTO

I am replacing the motor in my waveventure 1100 and I can't get the flywheel off. I am using a damper puller with no luck. Is it ok to heat the flywheel? I would also welcome suggestions on removing the PTO.

I have never heated my flywheel,i just used a good puller and it came off,make sure your bolts are screwed into the flywheel good other wise you can mess up your threads,it does require some tension with the puller but when it pops it will pop with force so be careful,the PTO coupler i did heat and it is counter clockwise to loosen,there is a tool made to go on the coupler but if you do not have that then heat it up good and stick a pipe or something heavy in between the fingers and it should come off,the key here is to use heat rather than break a finger off of your coupler.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kcc0521 View Post
    I am replacing the motor in my waveventure 1100 and I can't get the flywheel off. I am using a damper puller with no luck. Is it ok to heat the flywheel? I would also welcome suggestions on removing the PTO.
    I used the same kind of puller on mine. I put a good amount of tension on the puller and smack the puller bolt with a hammer. The flywheel poped off fast so be ready to catch it. I did have to heat up a flywheel on a snowmobile once to remove it so, yes thats a possibility also.

For the PTO, I tied the motor down to the bench (so the whole motor wouldn't rotate), then I jambed up the engine so the crankshaft wouldn't spin, then I heated the PTO, and stuck a 4 foot bar in between the fingers and spun it off. It was a major pain but it worked.

Thanks for all the advice. What did you press the puller against in the crank. The point piece on the puller is too big so I just let the puller press the inside of the crank. I am just wondering if that piece is part of the flywheel.

+1
    I can't exactly remember. My puller has a replaceable end. I can choose a flat one and a pointy one. I think I used a pointy one and it fit fine. Whatever you use, try to make sure you don't booger up the end of the crank. You could slide a smaller bolt in there or something similar to press against if you're worried.

Thanks for all the help. The flywheelshot off of the crank when enough pressure was applied. I had to heat the PTO and use a 4 foot pipe to get it off. Now I just need to decide if I should rebuild the carbs while the engine is out.

Thread Information