Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Airframe89
    +1

2003 MSX 140 No Start/Backfire

I have recently purchased a 03 MSX 140 with 20.9 hours. It will not start. It tries and then backfires really loud. It now will not turn over. I believe the starter bendix has failed. I will be replacing the bendix, inspecting the flywheel and stator.
    My biggest question is why is it back firing? Does that point to any specific item CPS/EMM???

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Does the starter spin, but the engine does not?
    Or is there a click, but nothing spins?

Backfire often indicates the EMM needs repair, but first you should verify that the ignition coil wires are not crossed up. Especially the primary wires. Check the color codes on the wires against the Tech info.

Heavy backfiring can sometimes damage/split the plastic exhaust resonators, so be on the watch for that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by airframe89 View Post
    I have recently purchased a 03 MSX 140 with 20.9 hours. It will not start. It tries and then backfires really loud. It now will not turn over. I believe the starter bendix has failed. I will be replacing the bendix, inspecting the flywheel and stator.
    My biggest question is why is it back firing? Does that point to any specific item CPS/EMM???
    Welcome!!!

Do you know the full history of the ski? Some of the early run 03 140's had issues with the stator bolts being too long and bottoming out. The stator could sometimes loosen and jump around, even break free, and make a real mess. Just something to look at while you're in there. Also, severe backfiring can sometimes break reed petals.

Airframe89
    +1
    This is actually the second time the bendix has been a problem. When I got the ski the starter would just spin. The previous owner said it started, backfired and then the starter would only spin. I found 4 teeth missing from the flywheel. Replaced flywheel, bendix and and inspected stator. Reinstalled engine, cranked and backfired. Now it sounds like the bendix is grinding on the flywheel. Engine does not turn over.
    I believe the backfire issue has cost me another flywheel/bendix.
    Last edited by airframe89; 03-08-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Airframe89
    +1
    Update:

Another flywheel gone, 4 teeth missing. Found mag cooling fitting clogged with beach sand, this is upstream from the EMM. Being clogged with beach sand indicates that it was running when clogged. DFI says it sounds like the EMM overheated. This could change the ignition timing. The EMM was shipped to them today.

The stator does not have any play, no indication of the bolts being too long. The coil wires check good.

+1
    ... Found mag cooling fitting clogged with beach sand, this is upstream from the EMM. Being clogged with beach sand indicates that it was running when clogged...
    You may need to pull more of the cooling system apart.

If there is sand in the engine or exhaust cooling jackets, that could be a problem. DO not assume that the material will jest get flushed out when the engine is running in the water.

Be sure to check every elbow, fitting and hose in the smaller cooling lines. Especially the two elbows on the stator cover.

Also pull the thermostat housing apart and check in there.

You may need to remove the water manifold bar to check for sand or other material.

Airframe89
    +1
    Gotcha,

Already checked everything else when engine was out. The clog was actually in the lower stator elbow. There was about 1/2 teaspoon of sand between elbow and laying inside the stator cover.
    I had to replace the exh manifold, I used compressed air/PB Buster/Compressed air on the passages in the cylinders. Got a little scale, no sand.
    I really appreciate your assistance and recommendations.

Airframe89
    +1
    Update:

EMM is at DFI. It did check bad, they are currently repairing it. The broken teeth on the flywheel did damage the stator. It is headed to RM Stator today. New flywheel, gaskets and a few other items are on order.
    I ordered my flywheel from St Johns Power Sports in Palatka Fl. They are the only place I have found that have Polaris parts at a discounted price. I purchased a NEW flywheel for $253. Almost everything Polaris is discounted from MSRP. They offer free shipping for larger orders.
    Hope I do not have any TPS problems. Seems everyone is out of them. Does anyone know if they are going to manufactured any more? Has anyone tried to open a bad one to see if it can be repaired? Any substitutes?
    This ski is getting expensive!!!

+1
    ... I ordered my flywheel from St Johns Power Sports in Palatka Fl. ...

... TPS ... Seems everyone is out of them. Does anyone know if they are going to manufactured any more?

Has anyone tried to open a bad one to see if it can be repaired? Any substitutes?...
    Let us know how it goes with St Johns Powersports

No known substitutes for the pigtail style TPS. I doubt it can be opened and repaired. There are some Honeywell TPS parts that are similar, but I have not actually tried to convert one to fit Polaris PWC.

It is unclear what Polaris is doing with regards to TPS supply. Since it is a Polaris specific part (as far as I know) that applies to multiple 2002-2004 PWC models, I certainly expect them to become available again.

Airframe89
    +1
    Finally up and running! Will test on boat ramp strapped to trailer next week (very busy schedule between my childrens softball/baseball and travel ball teams).
    EMM repaired at DFI, Stator rewound at RM Stator, new flywheel, pump housing to hull mount (broken bolts would not extract) and exhaust manifold (bolt broke on manifold to pipe mount, actually broke side of mount with broken stud in a vise. looked like it was internally welded in place). New thermostat and lots of new gaskets. Inspected and cleaned entire cooling system.

What type of 2-stroke injection oil is safe and readly available? Have read all of the posts on the forum, no clear answer! Will be using the ski for family recreation/water ski/tubeing.

Thanks to all who have directly and indirectly helped via the Greenhulk Forums!

On a side note, I just got back from a business trip in Philley. Found a mom and pop ski shop that had two TPS's on the shelf. They were well aware of the shortage and charged me $165 each. I purchased them both since I had not heard my ski run at that point. Now that I know my installed TPS is good, I only need one as a spare. I will let the second one go for what I paid ($165) plus any shipping. It is a new kit, it includes bolts and even the zip strip. It is in the factory bag with the polaris sticker and part number.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information