+1

Frikken riva strikes again.

A buddy of mine has had a few Riva experiences in the past with parts not fitting or shotty craftsmanship & now I have a story......

I just got my Riva finger throttle/bar ext. kit & it came with some tools & instructions & pics on "HOW" it "SHOULD" look. Well, 1st off the shroud cover didn't match up all that great but I can deal with that. It's the BENT drill bit that came with it that had me digging for a bit to match. Oh, then there's the small throttle cable set screw thats an odd ball size & none of my allens fit it. But they supplied the allen for the finger throttle set screw which by the way in the instructions it say's "be sure not to over tighten" ..that's because the throttle is plastic! Why didn't they supply ALL allens to match ALL the screws? But wait, there's more!
    The little PLASTIC pin that holds the shroud cover in place is cheezy & it was a sloppy fit so I replaced it with a SS screw. But wait!........ There's still more!!

The black spacer sleeves are a bit too small & have to be pounded on while being carefull not to split it. Well, I pounded it on & even lubed up the bars & sleeve but it's now stuck a 1/2 inch from the throttle. I CAN'T GET IT OFF!
    So in short...200.00+ for plastic parts & partial tool supply with parts that don't fit & are bent is not good QA & is a bit on the rippoff side if you ask me!
    I am not pleased at all with this kit. I'm better off going with the billet throttle for $49.99-69.99 (I already have the cable converter) & drill me a hole in the stock shroud for the cable & put a 1.75" peice of aluminum tube for the extentions & have the same amount of headaches but have 150 bux still in my wallet.

I had to vent....Anyone else have this problem?

i agree..those finger throttle kits are pretty cheap. i had some issues with mine but i resolved them.

the black cover didnt fit right, so i pushed it as far towards the center of bars as possible and marked my hole to drill. the drill bit they supplied broke. forget the crappy push tab thing. the pressure of the finger throttle against the black cover is enough to hold it in place. those black spacer sleeves we also too small. i just dremeled out a LITTLE bit from the inside..solved the problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDR_1014.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	398.4 KB 
ID:	10671   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDR_1021.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	313.2 KB 
ID:	10672  

+1
    Well, i'm glad i'm not the only one with this issue..Funny thing, I have those same grips with the billet ends & I thought about slamming them on. Is the screw on the ODI's the same as the stock screw? Will they screw on like the stock one's?

I got the kit installed now with a few small nicks on the sleeves but now I need to hit a hardware store for some allens...any idea what size the cable set screw is?

+1
    I bought a set of 1.25" bar ext from Jay on pete's site that where perfect. They are machined to include the hex insert and use the factory screw. $40. Add a good finger throt. and odi yeti or rouge grips and you're set.

If you're looking for a good spacer go to a bicycle shop for a fork spacer. Because the odi's are longer you only need about a 10mm spacer.

+1
    [quote=ou812;165280]Is the screw on the ODI's the same as the stock screw? Will they screw on like the stock one's?
    [quote]

NO, the odis attach by the locking rings on each end. The new end cap (screw-down type) did not fit Jay's ext. but the old style (rubber plugs) did fit.

V-Tec, 4-Tech that's how I roll meirvin's Avatar
    +1
    I too bought the riva extensions and fell out of love with the plastic cover that didnt fit. since I bought it used heres what I did. kept the extensions installed but then ordered the UMI finger throttle, Dremeled a hole through the seadoo handelbar in the position I wanted the throttle, Took two holes because I didnt put much thought into the angle and where I wanted the throttle and ran the cable thru the second hole. doing this allowed me to keep the chrome piece installed and made for a cleaner look IMO even with the extra hole.

Both holes I filled with the "right stuff"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	10695   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	10696  

+1
    I have one on mine and love it. Granted, the plastic cover could be made better but thought it was the easiest mod I`ve done on my ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HOSS View Post
    I have one on mine and love it. Granted, the plastic cover could be made better but thought it was the easiest mod I`ve done on my ski.
    well, there's 1 out of 4 that had no issues

+1
    mine came out great too.

Sorry you had so much trouble with yours Fred

+1
    I agree that the black plastic cover is way flimsy and does not fit right. I used the stock one and did some careful drilling and grinding until it lined up and fit right, then just used that and reinstalled the chrome piece. I tossed the replacement black cover in the trash. The spacers are very tight ... I used a big deep socket and a hammer to get them on. Once on and all tightened up I like them a lot. But to get them the way I wanted them definitely was not a simple half hour install ... a bit of work and 'customizing' but worth it in IMO.

Thread Information