Stripped Bolt with no clue of path forward. Any help is appreciated.

So long story short, I stripped a hex head screw on my ride plate of my 07 stx-15f. And as Murphy's law woudl have it, its in the worst possible place (bolt connecting ride plate to hull to jet pump). Now I tried drilling it out with no luck, tried tappign it out (nailing a tap into the screw and using pliers to screw out) with no luck. Compltely lost for options and have no clue what to do next.

Please note* I am nto a welder nor an expert n PWC repair. Im advanced I guess, with more knowledge than a newbie but def not enough to call me a pro. I cant just break the head off and not worry about it because it connects to the pump and to change out my ride plate and impeller liek I want, i need this bolt out.

Any suggestions???? Im in dire need.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Is the plate stuck on?

Sean

+1
    Don't feel bad, I bought an old STS 750 last year that had been serviced exclusively by a 'professional' shop. It had TWO bolts broken off--but they glued the heads back on with silicone sealant!

So, is the bolt head gone? I've been able to get bolts out by carefully drilling with left-handed drills. Start small and try to keep the drill centered. If the bolt is broken off below the surface, use a piece of metal tubing around the drill bit to keep the bit from wandering. Last ones I drilled out I bought a couple pieces of telescoping brass tubing, so I could drill a series of holes of increasing size. You can also try EZ-Outs, but they are tapered and cause the bolt to expand, making them jamb in the hole tighter.

You are correct to stop where you are. Not being able to see exactly what is left of the bolt, I am inclined to tell you to take the ski to a machine shop. They will have the skills and the tools to remove whats left of the bolt and hopefully not break anything else. In my town Carqwest has saved me on several occasions for about $20.00 a pop...well worth the money considering.

The bolt head is still intact. I tried prying the head off, but no dice. Yea I tried the EZ-Outs but they didnt work for me. I may have been doing it worng, but it didnt do anything. I did try and drill it out but all I got now is a big smooth hole in the bolt head.

I have decided that a pro can handle this, I will not. Hopefully it doesnt take much to get the bolt out.

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

Yes, I tried to pry it off but no go. And I relaized, if I pop the head off, Im still screwed cause the bolt is one of the ones holding the pump in place. DAH!!!!!

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    take it here....

http://www.thecustommuffler.com/

ask for hoss.... he is a forum member here. he knows his stuff

Thanks to all for the assistance. Getting it done. Should have it back tomorrow (fingers crossed). Then on with the ride plate, impeller, and putting the waterbox back in. Ready to ride!

Thread Information