+1

Removing Coolant with Heat Exchanger setup

I am pretty sure i know the answer and probably the only answer but how is everyone removing the coolant with Heat exchanger setup?

I assume a siphon thru maby the hose on top of head or which other inlet/outlet is best?

Long story short I mixed up a batch of distilled water and anitfreeze (70/30)the other day in a jug and the other night i went to fill my system and poured in the wrong jug.
    I accidently poured in the 100% antifreeze (not 50/50) so i need to remove enough coolant to add distilled water or just remove it all and add the potion I already mixed.

By the way it took right at 3/4 gallon with my setup, which is less then when had looped thru rideplate.

+1
    I would use your vac pump to empty the coolant tank then undo th hose and shove the vac pipe down into the thermo, you will be able to get most of it out like that then top it back up with your pre mix. R88

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by R88ory RXP View Post
    I would use your vac pump to empty the coolant tank then undo th hose and shove the vac pipe down into the thermo, you will be able to get most of it out like that then top it back up with your pre mix. R88
    +1

+1
    Take an old 5 gallon oil bucket (one with the spout on the lid). Get a small hose 1/8" to 1/4" and drill a very tight hold for it in the lid of the bucket. When your ready stick a shop vac hose over the spout on the lid and stick your 1/4" to 1/8" hose in the newly drilled hole and suck the coolant out with that hose. This way it keeps it out of your shop vac and if the bucket is clean you could reuse the coolant.

Banned User
    +1
    IMO, with the HX setup and its efficiency, any coolant and style is fine...no need to distill.

BUT, simply use your oil extractor and run the line down the overflow tube...pull out as much as needed. Refill through the overflow...I did this more than a dozen times while swapping HX's, routing coolant lines, etc...to get the right numbers in testing

+1
    I'm not sure how efficient it is/was, but I had installed a T fitting in one of the heat exchanger lines. Attached to the T fitting was a hose approx 15 to 18" long with a barb fitting cap. To drain the coolant, I removed the cap and inserted the fluid extractor. This does cause an extra 15" hose laying in the hull too.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    IMO, with the HX setup and its efficiency, any coolant and style is fine...no need to distill.

BUT, simply use your oil extractor and run the line down the overflow tube...pull out as much as needed. Refill through the overflow...I did this more than a dozen times while swapping HX's, routing coolant lines, etc...to get the right numbers in testing
    Danny you are probably correct with any collant being sufficent for HX setup but i accidentally used 100% antifreeze (I get it cheap this way for our Agriculture equipment) and not 50/50 like you get in the auto store, so i think i should atleast delute it.

I will get some of it out latter today and atleast delute it down.

How much coolant is everyone useing with HX setups, as seems like with OEM setup thru plate it was arround 1 Gallon +.
    3/4 gallon filled up my system with HX setup.
    I wonder how and if any this effects the system??

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    Danny you are probably correct with any collant being sufficent for HX setup but i accidentally used 100% antifreeze (I get it cheap this way for our Agriculture equipment) and not 50/50 like you get in the auto store, so i think i should atleast delute it.

I will get some of it out latter today and atleast delute it down.

How much coolant is everyone useing with HX setups, as seems like with OEM setup thru plate it was arround 1 Gallon +.
    3/4 gallon filled up my system with HX setup.
    I wonder how and if any this effects the system??
    100% is fine, and if you mixed it in with some 50/50 thats in there, you are fine...I used pre diluted stuff, mixed my own, and ran 100% straight during my testing. Even if you suck as much out as you can, the block will still have a good amount in it.

Yea, less than a gallon is normal. Between the shorter hose lengths and small footprint of the HX, you will have less volume of coolant...BUT again, the HX is 2-3x's as efficient as the ride plate ever could be...

Thread Information