motor mount bolts, need help!!

Hi, it has been a while since my last post and I am back in need of some help. I have a 1997 sl700 that needs the motor mounts changed. So today was the day to change them. Once i got almost everything disassembled I noticed that the mounts where fine. The bolts that hold mounts to the hull are missing the heads. I started drilling them out then used a reverse bit and no such luck. What should I do?

The bolts are missing the heads and I have no Idea on what i should do.

please help. I called the mechanic and they quoted me $500 thats what I paid for the ski. Please help.

Thanks for all your help. i hope I was clear and to the point.

Banned User
    Milwaukee WI
    Did you try the reverse bit on a cordless impact driver? That may get them to break free

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    near Toronto, Canada
    What worked for me was to use a Dremel cutting wheel to cut a slot through the end of the bolt, then use a screwdriver bit in an impact driver to back it out.

However, before you do that, you need to apply some heat to force the factory thread locking compound to degrade and stop holding onto the bolt threads.

I used a butane fueled micro-torch to apply focused heat directly to the end of the bolt. I does take some time for the tiny torch to deliver enough heat to reach the required temperature. Try not to overdo it, as you don't want to damage the hull material.

Once the thread compound has been 'cooked' it will not recover its strength when it cools. Let it cool, the go to work with the Dremel.

In my case I allowed the thin cutting wheel to slice part way into the actual hull inserts, just enough to create a decent slot depth in the bolt.

Stainless Steel doesn't like impact drivers. In my case, every few turns of the bolt, the slotted end would crumble (even though I tried to be gentle with the impacts. I would then cut the slot deeper into the now partially exposed bolt, and continue extracting. Came out in pieces, but it came out.

Thanks for the quick replies. I have been trying to get these thing out but with no luck but one. Can I just bolt down two mounts, one at each corner. Will this work, for only going straight? PS...I have been trying to take the exhaust manifold off for days and today I discover that some !@? put glue of on the entire thread of all the bolts.

Thanks again.

Thread Information