+1

XL800 nikasil cast iron cylinder mix ok?

So I have a 2001 XL 800 with one bad cylinder. Has 89 hours on it. Cylinder one looks really good. I don't think the other is salvageable. The cost of nikasil plating is very expensive. Therefore I was wondering if I can replace only one cylinder with a cast iron and leave the other. Some "experts" say no. The nikasil runs hotter and will eventually burn out the cast clyinder pistion. I think asked this "expert" if I could just hone out the nikasil cylinder and oversize the piston to match. He said nikasil was to thick to bore out.

So according to this expert, I have to find a nikasil cylinder or replace both cylinders and pistons. Does this sound right to you guys?

Also, are the xl800 and Xl1200 cylinders the same?

...he's right in that you're not supposed to bore nikasil, (just replace pistons and rings when compression goes away/wear maintenance). That was the main idea behind those cylinders when they first came out - they lasted longer so you didn't have to bore when it was time to replace pistons. Downside is you should simply replace both or like he said find just one nikasil on ebay or something. I'd check with SBT who may have some cylinders for you at www.sbtshop.com I think, or Weisco piston company and pick their respective brains about options. Other's here will chime in.

And no, I can't image 1200 and 800 are the same except that they are both nikasil-bore/stroke are different. I believe you can get cylinder kits for about 300-400 but if you need pistons too add another 200 or so... . It's not that bad. That's one advantage of a two stroke.

+1

Cool

you be surprise what can be fixed give these people a call
    http://www.mt-llc.com/
    they do great work
    cd

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

you be surprise what can be fixed give these people a call
    http://www.mt-llc.com/
    they do great work
    cd

+1
    OK looks l like I'll send jug in for a repair and plating. $225 not too bad. Still need to get piston kit and all should be good to go.

You would be suprised at how good a yamaha 1200 runs with 3 66E cylinders in it and if you pull lots of tubes with a 3 seater xl800 you would be suprised what a nice engine running the 66v cylinders from a 1200 on it does for it,less top end more power thru band.And as for running a nikasil cylinder with a liner ,no problem,its been done for years,also nikasil is not thick its only a 1.00mm or 2,in a perfect world where engines never seized and just wore out like cars the nikasil is one good idea ,but for watercraft with raw water cooling,sometimes not running for 6 months,someone running old gas or lean carb etc.I would take a lined cylinder anyday,PS oh I forgot also with yamaha oil lines shrinking and pulling off due to cat. converter on a two stroke!!!good one yamaha.If you had closed circuit cooling and used ski every few days and always maintained it nikasil is the bomb !In the real world many who have bought used yamahas wish they had iron liners,as for heat transfer,yamaha,kawasaki,polaris,and seadoo have been using lined aluminum cylinders just like the high dollar aluminum donovan you can buy for your muscle car it has iron liners and makes plenty horsepower!and can be properly cooled without hassle,liners are like aks everyone who has one has opinions on them,have a great day>Marvin

Thread Information