Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    +1

FZR/FZS vs RXP-X (yes i know its been asked)

Im sure its been asked, but i honeslty dont like the search function on this site it doesnt do me much good. Anyway that being said, im sortof leaning twoard buying a new ski this year and selling my gp1200r. I originally was going to get a rxp-x, and still am considering it, but i also love yamaha and i want a reliable machine that handles good. Im going to post this same thread in the seadoo 4 stroke area to get both crowds opinions, but from the yamaha group, if you were a salesman and had to sell me on a fzr or fzs what reasons would you have for arguing it to be better than the seadoo?

(By the way why does yamaha use the same hull for the fzr/fzs and i believe the fxsho?) I was told this by the dealer, and i dont understand (besides the seats) why id choose one over the other.

Last question is, if i was to buy one of the 3 yamahas, what would be the weak link? Supercharger? Intake grate bucking? And how many hours can i REASONABLY expect out of a 4 stroke pwc engine before major work is needed... Im comming obviously from 2 strokes. Thanks

+1
    Well if you would have looked four pages forwards you would have found this thread: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...e-a-new-Ski...

And NO, the FZR/S hull is completely different than the FX. Better find a new dealer.

+1
    I'll speak to the FZR and FZS.... Both are great all around skis. Deep "V" hull is excellent in rough and tracks well in calm water. Both FZR/S feature angled chines which allow the ski to really lean in on turns. The bucking problem is easily solved with a R&D grate for $199. The SHO engine is very very reliable in stock or even lightly modded form. The SC clutch seems to be a weak link on the SHO engine but in stock form I wouldn't worry about it. The reason I love Yamaha is because their products are simple, clean, and work as advertised. For example, I was looking at seadoos at the boat show last week and there are an abundance of features that really arn't needed on a PWC and are just more things to break. for example.... IBR, electric trim, hinged seat, iS, etc. Also, seadoos require more maintenance than yamahas.... such as flushing the coolant system, rebuilding the SC every 100 hours, and you need to run premium gas where as the SHO engine runs on regular and only requires oil change and spark plugs every year. With proper maitnence I would expect your FZR/S to last many many seasons.

+1
    Thanks to both of you, that thread was helpful, and so was mikefzr's response... So is there a difference between the fzr/s hull then? Or just the seat? Anyway though i find it troubling that yamaha doesnt post horsepower ratings? Whats the deal lol something to hide? Not like this is a deciding factor but what is better in a straight line? rxp or fzr? And what one "hooks up" better out of the hole, I HATE cavitation.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nunnink23 View Post
    Thanks to both of you, that thread was helpful, and so was mikefzr's response... So is there a difference between the fzr/s hull then? Or just the seat? Anyway though i find it troubling that yamaha doesnt post horsepower ratings? Whats the deal lol something to hide? Not like this is a deciding factor but what is better in a straight line? rxp or fzr? And what one "hooks up" better out of the hole, I HATE cavitation.
    The FZR and FZS have identical hulls. The only difference is the seat and the grab handle. Don't worry about HP ratings, frankly they dont mean a thing unless the hull/ pump have been designed correctly. The SHO engine is good for 215hp stock (it says so on the engine). I think they reason Yamaha does not advertise HP is because other companies like Kawi have a 300hp ski and an ill-informed buyer may equate more HP to more performance and that is not true in any sense. My FZR hooks up great with the R&D grate. Even stock it hooked up like a champ with no cavitation... maybe 1 or 2 spins before the prop engaged but thats damn close to perfect.

+1
    Thats cool, i agree because my gp1200r keeps up with ALOT of more powerfull machines, Does anybody have any info on the yamaha extended warrenty program? And how much it costs? I like peace of mine, i can work on it myself (i think lol) but i hate the cost of repairs.

+1
    Thats cool, i agree because my gp1200r keeps up with ALOT of more powerfull machines, Does anybody have any info on the yamaha extended warrenty program? And how much it costs? I like peace of mine, i can work on it myself (i think lol) but i hate the cost of repairs.
    Ski comes with a 1 year warranty on everything. You can get the 5 year extended or just extend the warranty when the 1st year is up. Not sure on the price, maybe 500$?

+1
    Damn dude your a weath of knowladge haha, i take it your pretty happy with yours. Id deffinetly get the extended warrenty, im happy with leaving them stock, besides the intake grate. Hows your machine on gas, (have you ever owned a gp1200r)? I also have a 951cc gtx limited which is good on gas, but im selling them both.

+1
    With having both ski's and working on both ski's (Me FZR my Bro RXPX 255)

The Yamaha is so much easier to mod and work on.

I like both ski's. Both are VERY different to each other. Both ride different , Both power different , Both handle different.

+1
    Damn dude your a weath of knowladge haha, i take it your pretty happy with yours. Id deffinetly get the extended warrenty, im happy with leaving them stock, besides the intake grate. Hows your machine on gas, (have you ever owned a gp1200r)? I also have a 951cc gtx limited which is good on gas, but im selling them both.
    I love the FZR. I also have a 2007 FX HO which is nice but I much prefer the FZR. I never had a GP1200r, but I did have a XL800 a long time ago. The SHO engine is good on gas up until you start making boost around 6k rpm. WOT is over 18 gal/ hr on the SHO engine.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information