Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Are MSX 140 cylinders same as 1200 TXi ?

Other than being Nicasil,is there any difference in port timing, reason being Wiseco is listing same piston for all 1200 or does the Wiseco only work if the nicasil cylinder is sleeved, and if so can non nicasil Polaris 1200 jugs be run on the msx140.

I should have said TXi other than the txi are 84mm and the mx140 are 85mm and nicasil,just wondering if the 84mm TXi 1200 cylinder could be run on the MSX 140 with 84mm piston of course or boring the TXi to 85mm. as the cranks and stroke seem to be the same????

Thanks very much in advance!

>Marvin
    Last edited by K447; 04-10-2011 at 07:40 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The MSX 140 cylinders differ from the red domestic 1200 cylinders in multiple ways. Engine displacement on the MSX 140 is 1192cc, while the red engine is 1165cc

Piston diameter is different (as I recall), porting is different.

I should have said txi other than the txi are 84mm and the mx140 are 85mm and nikasil,just wondering if the 84mm txi 1200 cylinder could be run on the msx 140 with 84mm piston of course or boring the txi to 85mm,Thanks amigo I have said from the 1200 fuel injected virage,Do the polaris msx140 factory replacement jugs come with pistons like the yam.do or are they seperate like the kawasaki ultra 150,where you buy both piston and jug seperate,Thanks much amigo,I was just wondering,I can call in the morning ,but was placing an order this evening,and thought you might know ,Thanks>Marvin,Ps hope you had a good winter!!

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    The ports are different on the MSX140,The 140 has 2 More ports.The pistons are sold seperate. How bad are the jugs on the 140? They can be reNiked. Sometimes if the jugs are not scar'd,but just have alumium scuffed on the walls, you can use Muric Acid to desolve the alumium and it willl not hurt the Nik. It's Alot cheaper to re Nik the cyls then to buy new.

Yes, technically you could bolt the 017 iron cylinders on an MSX motor..BUT, there are going to be multiple issues that will need to be resolved...Fuel mapping would be a major one, since displacement and port timing is different. I would just get the MSX cylinders renik'd...or if you wanted to go cheap, have them sleeved.

As for pistons...Wiseco has the stock 84mm pistons for the iron 1200 motors, 85mm (+1mm over)pistons for the iron motors, and the 85mm pistons for the MSX motors. The 2 85mm pistons are not the same, and cannot be used interchangeably (unless the heads are recut), due to different dome angles.

thanks much guys I was wondering if anyone had tried??,Reason I was wondering is we had problems getting 800 yam cylinders last year,So with owners consent we swapped in the 1200 cylinders which like the polaris have 2 ports less the ones on each side of exhaust,well low and behold we wound up with one sweet running easy starting ,non clattering 800yam.not some weak no running ski as I was led to believe,I was thinking since crankshaft was same ,stroke same,and it was direct injection,the only possible problem would be perhaps it might run a bit too rich if ports werent allowing enough air in.I dont like to use parts that are not meant for each ski,but with these polaris two strokes getting long in the tooth and perhaps parts might become hard to come by ,it would be nice to know.I mean really how much have you had to change carburation when enlarging a pwc engine 1.00mm.or .040" oversize?perhaps a quarter turn on mains and nothing on low speed?also I am not arguing I want to learn of other mechanics and if they have tried different solutions (its hard to get a full rebuild price on a older ski).. ,do all 2003 msx 140 use no exhaust manifold to cylinder gasket oonly silicone,or has someone been in this engine,reason being where I live I have only seen a total of 4 msx140 thanks again.Have a safe summer!!>Marvin

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    As I recall, there aren't exhaust gaskets on most Polaris domestic engines (just the first couple of model years, circa 1996+), including both the red and black versions.

You may well be able to get away with using 1165cc rec cylinders on the black MSX 140 crank case. As far as I know, the MSX 140 EMM works well enough on a Genesis i or Virage TXi engine (if you also swap in the MSX 140 throttle body).

I haven't looked at whether there is any mechanical issues with how the red cylinders mate with the MSX 140 exhaust manifold. Check that the cooling passages line up...

I thought the exhaust port outlets are larger on the MSX cylinders? As for fueling the iron cylinders with the MSX EMM...It's not the 1.00mm bore size difference that would concern me the most, its the porting differences. Also, carburetors are self adjusting to increases in air flow...if you bore a motor out and don't change the jets, more fuel will still be pulled through the jets, than before the bore increase, since more air is now passing over the booster. The more air that passes over the booster, the more fuel that goes in. Yes, you also usually increase jet sizes, but that's not because the carb isn't supplying additional fuel...The FICHT system cannot compensate at all to additional airflow...Anybody played with tricking the air temp sensor to add or subtract fuel?

Ultimately, success depends on how much "wiggle room" Polaris left in the tune of the EMM. IF it's a bit fat, you might be ok. If it's on the edge, you'll probably stick a piston.

+1
    If you need MSX 140 Pistons I have them in stock. Not the standard 84mm 1200 that people are putting the 4th over bores that is NOT the right way to Do it.
    I have the right ones in stock 85mm

PM me if needed

+1
    i tried that ajustable chip that can be found on ebay.no noticeable power diff but did cause a lean condition at cooler air temps.not worth the risk for such little gain.6 degree wedge, cut .010 and cc heads, extend ride plate out just past nozzle and get rid of the planet bull crap are safe improvements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information