Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Hose Sizes for Oetiker's?

Pretty soon I will be installing a Riva IC and will be replacing any other clamps I can get to with Oetiker clamps while doing the job.

http://www.oetiker.com/content.asp?l=4&idNavig=25

Question I have is has anyone ever purchased these clamps and what sizes do I need to replace all the clamps on the ski? I can get a complete kit but feel there are a ton of the clamps sizes in the kit that will never be used plus I already have the pliers.

http://www.oetiker.com/content.asp?l=4&idNavig=485

Why not the standard screw clamp?

+1
    That would be too easy.

Seriously, my opinion is that these are superior to screw clamps.

I just purchased 3/4" oetiker clamps . This seems to be the most common size throughout the ski.

+1
    McMaster sells all sizes. You need to measure the hose size for the proper size as the clamp range is small.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    McMaster sells all sizes. You need to measure the hose size for the proper size as the clamp range is small.
    Was hoping to have them prior to install day.

Looks like a few sizes would probably cover the bases up to 5/8".

+1
    Craig, on any SAE(aftermarket) 1/2" fittings you'll need 21mm oetikers & on the slightly larger OEM metric fittings(like the splitter & transom plate thru hull) you'll need 22.6mm. If you're replacing the stock hose with the reinforced Riva synflex hose it'll be necessary to use a heat gun to soften up the ends to get it on the slightly larger OEM fittings...spraying the fittings with a little windex(or something similar) helps too. If you replace anything on the exhaust side of the motor, like the hoses from the regulator/rectifier, those fittings are slightly smaller than 1/2" so the synflex hose will be a lil loose but still works fine. For those you'll want to slide the hose on all the way but crimp the 21mm oetiker closer to the end of the barb, close to the flared end. That will keep the water pressure from partially sliding the hose off the barbs. There is one section of hose that is close to 3/8 that comes off the block, but that's only reachable by removing the manifold so I doubt you'll do that one, but if you do you'll need 18mm oetikers for that. FYI, don't use oetikers on the IC fittings. I initially used 21mm on those but the brass fittings run a little smaller & I didn't trust the clamps to hold...I could still spin the hose on the barbs after crimping them as far as they'd go. I used the fat worm gear clamps that I told you about for those. I got all mine from McMaster. You don't really need a whole kit, just those 2 sizes(21 & 22.6).

+1
    Yet one more reason you're my hero! v Ordered up a bag of the 18.5, 19.8, 21 and 22.6mm sizes to make sure my bases were covered.

First round or six are on me at Gros.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Craig, on any SAE(aftermarket) 1/2" fittings you'll need 21mm oetikers & on the slightly larger OEM metric fittings(like the splitter & transom plate thru hull) you'll need 22.6mm. If you're replacing the stock hose with the reinforced Riva synflex hose it'll be necessary to use a heat gun to soften up the ends to get it on the slightly larger OEM fittings...spraying the fittings with a little windex(or something similar) helps too. If you replace anything on the exhaust side of the motor, like the hoses from the regulator/rectifier, those fittings are slightly smaller than 1/2" so the synflex hose will be a lil loose but still works fine. For those you'll want to slide the hose on all the way but crimp the 21mm oetiker closer to the end of the barb, close to the flared end. That will keep the water pressure from partially sliding the hose off the barbs. There is one section of hose that is close to 3/8 that comes off the block, but that's only reachable by removing the manifold so I doubt you'll do that one, but if you do you'll need 18mm oetikers for that. FYI, don't use oetikers on the IC fittings. I initially used 21mm on those but the brass fittings run a little smaller & I didn't trust the clamps to hold...I could still spin the hose on the barbs after crimping them as far as they'd go. I used the fat worm gear clamps that I told you about for those. I got all mine from McMaster. You don't really need a whole kit, just those 2 sizes(21 & 22.6).

Good for you looking at doing this. Also, Lowes generally has some oetikers in the plumbing area. I haven't seen them at Home Depot.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    I plan on replacing the clamps on my ski, have they leaked......every car I owned used them and they would leak if you removed them and then tried to reuse it, I have my intake manafold out and there is a bunch of them below??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information