Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PPG L 1 Air Intake VS. Riva Power Filter

A month or so ago, I asked the question: "I have the PPG Level One Kit. I am not very happy with the results. Would it be worth while to take off the PPG Air Intake System and replace it with the Riva Power Filter? I also have NOPAS, the Riva wedge and Riva intake grate."

No one would respond to the question. I am sure it was because of everyone's support for PPG. I some what understand that, but Glen has said before that he does not mind fair product comparisons.

I am also very supportive of PPG. That is why I have bought everything through them including my Riva Power Filter.

And now for the results......... I picked up a full 2 to 2.5 MPH. My previous peak GPS speed on a 64 degree day was only 69.0 MPH. I have already seen peaks of 71.6 and have no problem getting over 70 even in 85 degree weather. These may not be great numbers compared to other guys who have strong running machines, but for me, I have finally hit the numbers I was looking for all along. I thought others might want to know, especially if they are struggling to get over 70 MPH.

glad you like the riva kit. what is the differance between the ppg and riva pipes? try taking your intake grate off if its not to choppy out and you will see about 1-1.5 mph gain aslo.

Thats good to hear man...too bad I still cant get the #s I want. What kind of RPMs are you turning? Stock prop?

I have Riva Stage I(grate, prop, intake, wedge) + NOPAS +Riva Thru Hull Exhaust + Filled Rideplate Holes + Riva BOV and my best GPS to date is 69.8 GPS-half tank 84 lake temp.

I want to try taking the grate off and see what'll happen, but my area is 75-80% choppy.

Jay

SO Ultra....... Are you saying that the Riva is better than the PPG?

+1
    I can't speak for the PPG setup, I have the Riva and its great,was worried about water intrusion at first,but its really a non issue as long as you use the pre-filter...AND as long as you don't flood the hull(LOL)

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    at this point in the game... a homemade air intake is the way to go running a 4" flex duct as far to the bow as possible.... it's cheaper, more effective, and gets you cooler air which = more power....

so i mean after all the experimenting and stuff all summer, it's safe to say PPG and RIVA sales on their "outdated" air intake kits probably declined bc you can make something yourself that is much cheaper and effective to inducting only cold air.

that's my opinion.

Where would you buy a filter for a homeade setup and does anyone have any pictures?

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    just find the biggest K&N filter you can fit after you run your ducts.... that's exactly what Riva is selling you is a off the shelf K&N air filter.... plus they sell you a "water repellant" outerwear which you can also purchase on your own.

if i come across pictures i'll let you know, but i know MANY guys on this site have made their own intakes that are far more effective and take 100% advantage of outside cooler air.

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox
    Where would you buy a filter for a homeade setup and does anyone have any pictures?
    I have a big K&N filter with a stainless heat shield (or water guard) that I took off my RXP because I sold it. It fits 3" tubing. I will sell half the price I paid for $25 shipped. Email at www.ultra7350@yahoo.com for pics or interested in buying it.

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    nitro rxp,

We are interested in the K&N filter. Could you e-mail a pic?

Thanks,

Jeff & Annette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information