Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2010 260X

2010 260X

So after spending hours and hours researchiing the ultras I think I have finally decided to go with a 2010 Ultra 260X. I love the stability and safety of the ultra hull in rough water and although I dont intend to use it very often, having the power available is on my list. I do have a few fears and was wondering if you guys could help me out.

It seems to me like these ski's have a history of 3 main problems, the pump housing, the heads cracking and the Superchargers locking up. From seeing what everyone has been saying on this site it seems Kawi addressed the head issues by changing the design for the 2010, they also addressed the pump issue with design changes in 2010 and with religious fogging the SC is not likely to fail. Does this all sound about right and are there any issues I'm missing?

Also I've seen fogging get addressed multiple times on this forum but still dont seem to really understand it. If someone could help explain it a bit more it would greatly be appreciated. About how long and how much of a pain in the ass is this realistically as I'm willing to spend an extra 20-30 minutes on post ride maitnence but any more may shift my decison to a non S/C model.

Thanks for all the help!

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    Just wondering, why not go for the ultra 300?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowStang305 View Post
    Just wondering, why not go for the ultra 300?
    possibly 4-5k difference in price...a 2010 left over are going around 10-11k....the 300x list price 14-15k...shopping myself for an 09 but might consider a 2010 if I but late summer....

Exactly like dave said it's the 4k difference. I've looked at the yamaha and seadoo's in my 11k range and really dont favor the looks or the storage capacity as I live a good bit away from the lake or the bay so long days on the water are a must. I know the 260 sucks on fuel but in comparison i Drive a Ram with the hemi that is lucky to get 13mpg(lift and 37's) and I'm not about to sell it for a civic so why go for the smaller skis. I would love the SHO or the 300x but that extra cash is just not around. When i saw the ultra for the first time I practically fell in love with it.

Dave- I'm shoppiing in NJ also and although I'm sure you probably already know Toms River Kawi had an 09 a few days ago for 9600. Not sure if it's still there or not. Also Hamilton Yamaha has 1 2010 left and they're doing decent deals(I paid 10900 tax, prep and tags).

Quote Originally Posted by CJD312 View Post
    Kawi addressed the head issues by changing the design for the 2010, they also addressed the pump issue with design changes in 2010 and with religious fogging the SC is not likely to fail. Does this all sound about right and are there any issues I'm missing?
    +1.

Exactly like dave said it's the 4k difference.
    That's minimum.

I'm willing to spend an extra 20-30 minutes on post ride maitnence but any more may shift my decison to a non S/C model.
    You can reduce the s/c fogging time by making an injection port on the s/c inlet (more work but more effective) or outlet cover (less work but less effective), just like how it is done on the 300X.

I think the SC fogging is more of a salt water riding issue. I ride brackish water and have never fogged my SC - no issues at 220hrs. I think you are wise to look at the 260X over the 250X because it seems to have sorted out a lot of issues (GIO, pump bearing, etc).

+1
    Just make sure your 2010 model's pump is modded to 2010 specs and not to 09 like mine. Other than that and the high oil price it's a joy!

+1
    Exactly like dave said it's the 4k difference. I've looked at the yamaha and seadoo's in my 11k range and really dont favor the looks or the storage capacity as I live a good bit away from the lake or the bay so long days on the water are a must. I know the 260 sucks on fuel but in comparison i Drive a Ram with the hemi that is lucky to get 13mpg(lift and 37's) and I'm not about to sell it for a civic so why go for the smaller skis. I would love the SHO or the 300x but that extra cash is just not around. When i saw the ultra for the first time I practically fell in love with it.

Dave- I'm shoppiing in NJ also and although I'm sure you probably already know Toms River Kawi had an 09 a few days ago for 9600. Not sure if it's still there or not. Also Hamilton Yamaha has 1 2010 left and they're doing decent deals(I paid 10900 tax, prep and tags).

I know of a 09 still in the crate....but I'm not gonna tell you ..LOL!....j/k pm me and yes I'm aware of the 2010 in Trention...getting dealer email alerts on an 09 from all over a 200 mile radius...I have some personal matters to attend to so might not get an 09 till late summer early fall...might then look for a left over 2010....

Quote Originally Posted by UltraKvz View Post
    Just make sure your 2010 model's pump is modded to 2010 specs and not to 09 like mine. Other than that and the high oil price it's a joy!
    Hmmm... Didnt even know thats a possibility. Thanks for the heads up. How do I go about checking this?

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

No worries dave. The reason I said theres only one 260X at Trenton is cause i bought the other on monday and should be picking it up on saturday.... Thanks for the offer tho!

Meangreen- I've seen some posts on adding the fogging port but am a little hesitant with the possibility of voiding the warranty or even giving the rep a chance to blame any possible failure on me and put the burdon into my wallet. Any input on this? any chance the dealer would do it taking some of the heat off me?

Quote Originally Posted by UltraKvz View Post
    Just make sure your 2010 model's pump is modded to 2010 specs and not to 09 like mine.
    2011 300X pump setup is even better with the anti-forward nut, and it will work on any Ultra models, 25/260/LX.

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

Meangreen- I've seen some posts on adding the fogging port but am a little hesitant with the possibility of voiding the warranty or even giving the rep a chance to blame any possible failure on me and put the burdon into my wallet. Any input on this? any chance the dealer would do it taking some of the heat off me?
    What possible error or problem are you thinking of that would void the warranty?
    The biggest possibility of voiding the warranty is that dealer/rep will say "s/c lock up is a result of lack of maintenance. You didn't lube the s/c rotors as it clearly says so in the owner's manual. And corrosion related failure is not covered by warranty."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information