Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

This is how to MAKE A DIGI WRENCH FOR MSX 150 110

Firstly I wanted the opportunity to give something back to the good guys on this forum.

Bear with me on this, as im trying to sort out a cable to work for a digi wrench.
    >>
    The guys with the weber engine sleds have mastered it, but *unless im wrong* the diagnostic port is different for the sleds.

This is MSX150 plug:

>>
    >>
    Here is where to buy the plug you need to plug into the diagnostic port on the harness of the msx 110/150 :
    >>
    http://www.repairconnector.com/products/WeatherPack-4-Way-Square-Female-Male-Connector-Assembly-Set.html
    >>
    >>
    this is how I believe you wire in the plug: (im still to prove thatís corrects,!)
    >>
    *OBD2 Pin 16 (Interface Cable) to (MSX Diagnostic Plug) for 12 volt positive battery RED/PURPLE
    *OBD2Pin 5 (Interface Cable) to (MSX Diagnostic Plug) for ground BLACK
    *OBD2Pin 7 (Interface Cable) to (MSX Diagnostic Plug) for ECU signal BLUE/YELLOW

>>
    Here is where you can cross reference the OBD2 connector http://www.elm323.com/obd2_connector (TYPE A)>>
    > >
    This is the type of scanner you need (that works) to read/reset codes:>>

im in the process of doing this myself, so keep you posted, please excuse me if this has already been done!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    This looks very interesting

Which scanner are you using, exactly?

Have you seen these threads?
    Finally... an alternative to Digital Wrench

Read ECU Bosch troubles codes with OBD reader

msx 150 problems

Tip: Edit your original post to remove all the funky smilies. Looks like the text was pasted from a word processing program, which does that sometimes.

J1962 Vehicle Connector, Type A
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	j1962f_type_a[1].gif 
Views:	488 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	232012   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	obd2_connector[1].png 
Views:	174 
Size:	1.7 KB 
ID:	232014   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wpa4sx1__72519_zoom[1].jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	232013  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    This looks very interesting

Which scanner are you using, exactly?

Have you seen these threads?
    Finally... an alternative to Digital Wrench

Read ECU Bosch troubles codes with OBD reader

msx 150 problems

Tip: Edit your original post to remove all the funky smilies. Looks like the text was pasted from a word processing program, which does that sometimes.

J1962 Vehicle Connector, Type A

i have seen these links, but have been able to get any further with them, the polarisfiles with the snowmobiles was the best, but became confusing then the P4 ATX12v 4 pin connector they use dosent seem to work/fit etc with the msx's. and its been a ball ache up untill now to find the exact same plugs as used on the polaris msx harness. (i didnt want to cut or splice into the harness, incase i did ever need to take it to the main dealer etc)
    any OBD2 scanner seem to work (REF polarisfiles) im yet to proove this out. im going to but the orange type as used by the fst guys on sleds. (the pic i attached)
    as for my posting smileys, i dont know what i did there....!
    im waiting for the plug to come, and then i will have a cable for the OBD2. the guys with sleds seem to get on fine with it, (no password etc needed to access ECU) the primary function to access codes and reset ecu, but the sensor spacific operating details/data im not so sure about. (atleast it will largely narrow down the problem though.)
    ive bought an OBD2 extension cable, and cut one end off and will fit the new 4pin block on the end.
    if/when i works i will show how to do it with photos. - if it doesnt work ill stick my head in the sand.

Please keep us posted this looks VERY interesting!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KingJaga View Post
    Please keep us posted this looks VERY interesting!!!!

Right, heres where im at

OBD2 cable:

PIN 16 (12v) goes to orange/white wire = red/purple on MSX
    PIN 7 (signal) goes to blue wire = blue/yellow on MSX
    PIN 5 (earth) goes to yellow = black on MSX

well, the OBD2 unit wakes up when connected (when engine started or if in SIFB diagnostic mode.)

but the OBD2 unit keeps requesting to "turn ignition key on - do not start engine"

pics of cable to follow....

- DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO PROGRAM THE START/STOP BUTTON TO ACTIVATE DIAGNOSTIC MODE/DIGI WRENCH MODE?
    Last edited by spannerspencer; 03-19-2011 at 03:08 PM. Reason: spelling

I remember reading about that in the service manual somewhere. Some sequence for turning on and off to leave it in diagnostic mode.....If you have the service manual look towards the back last chapter somewhere for reference about that. I will look when I get home on Wednesday. Pin setup matches what the sled guys figured out on another thread so that should be correct. Hopefully someone will chime in on the diagnostic mode. Good luck!! If it works for you I will be ordering the plug adapter and asking for help on wiring it up with the OBD II.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KingJaga View Post
    I remember reading about that in the service manual somewhere. Some sequence for turning on and off to leave it in diagnostic mode.....If you have the service manual look towards the back last chapter somewhere for reference about that. I will look when I get home on Wednesday. Pin setup matches what the sled guys figured out on another thread so that should be correct. Hopefully someone will chime in on the diagnostic mode. Good luck!! If it works for you I will be ordering the plug adapter and asking for help on wiring it up with the OBD II.

i think the SIFB diagnostic mode is the programing mode? i can get the scanner to read "no codes present" ive got the manuals incl the big one with engine/wiring details so go threw it with a fine toothed combe!
    need to play with it more, i think it does actually work!, the OBD2 scanner/reader did say "no codes present" so to say that it should all be working!? perhaps i need to wait for somthing to go wrong! (i have just had precision sports just remap my ecu so i wouldnt expect any codes!)

anyone else had a go?....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Perhaps you can unplug an innocuous sensor to see if it reports a code?

Choose something that will automatically recover when you plug it back together.

I have the whole digital wrench set-up, does anyone know how to use it on a msx 150, I can't even get it to connect/talk to the ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER View Post
    I have the whole digital wrench set-up, does anyone know how to use it on a msx 150, I can't even get it to connect/talk to the ski.
    this is how i get it to work, ...

1-insert the lanyard into the stop switch, and start the engine. stop the engine by removing the lanyard
    2-wait for 15 seconds, then re-insert the lanyard. quickly push the stop button three times within the first three seconds, then tap the start button.

the diagnostics will be powered up until the lanyard is removed.

hope this helps.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information