Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

AGM sealed battery question

I just bought an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery for my ski and am very confused as to how to charge it before i install it. Does it need a special charger? or can I charge it just like I would my origional battery? im not really getting a straight answer searching around on the internet, anyone thats had experience with these please help, thanks in advance!
    TJ

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Unlike a traditional 'wet' lead-acid battery, a new factory sealed AGM battery doesn't need charging. It should have arrived well charged.

Check the terminal voltage. Should be right around 12.7 to 12.8 volts for a charged and ready to go AGM battery.

Just install it and it should work.

You may never need to use a charger on your AGM battery, as they can hold a charge for many months. If you ever do need to charge it, the charger should be AGM compatible.

The charger label or the instructions should mention AGM. If it doesn't, then the charger probably is not meant for AGM batteries.

A non-AGM charger CAN charge an AGM battery, but the battery may not be fully charged, or it may be over-charged.

+1
    this is the battery i bought (not for my RXP) but if it works will be getting one for my RXP as well http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UT16C...item2eb2245a72 this doesnt need any charging?? just pop it in the ski and go?

+1
    so are these better then the "wet lead batteries"

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Unlike a traditional 'wet' lead-acid battery, a new factory sealed AGM battery doesn't need charging. It should have arrived well charged.

Check the terminal voltage. Should be right around 12.7 to 12.8 volts for a charged and ready to go AGM battery.

Just install it and it should work.

You may never need to use a charger on your AGM battery, as they can hold a charge for many months. If you ever do need to charge it, the charger should be AGM compatible.

The charger label or the instructions should mention AGM. If it doesn't, then the charger probably is not meant for AGM batteries.

A non-AGM charger CAN charge an AGM battery, but the battery may not be fully charged, or it may be over-charged.
    so no charging is required for the battery i bought? just take it out of the box and good to go?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXPteamtimebomb View Post
    I just bought an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery for my ski and am very confused as to how to charge it before i install it. Does it need a special charger? or can I charge it just like I would my origional battery? im not really getting a straight answer searching around on the internet, anyone thats had experience with these please help, thanks in advance!
    TJ
    AGM batteries are typically not charged at same voltage rate as a Led Acid battery. While Led Acid batteries can "boil" when receiving a high amp charge AGM batteries are sealed and cannot boil. If the gas stored inside is forced out by overcharging, the battery will never perform to its maxium capability and the gas cannot be re-installed. Ask me how I know... AGM batteries will have a specific chargeing specification which means having a charger that is desigined for these batteries.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Glade Rider View Post
    AGM batteries are typically not charged at same voltage rate as a Led Acid battery. While Led Acid batteries can "boil" when receiving a high amp charge AGM batteries are sealed and cannot boil. If the gas stored inside is forced out by overcharging, the battery will never perform to its maxium capability and the gas cannot be re-installed. Ask me how I know... AGM batteries will have a specific chargeing specification which means having a charger that is desigined for these batteries.
    ok now im getting multiple different answers, the battery i bought (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UT16C...item2eb2245a72).. can it just be taken out of the box it was shipped to me in and placed in my ski and hit go? some are saying it needs to be charged, some say its sealed and ready to go.. im sorry for my frustration, i just know nothing about batteries and do not care about how they work, how its better than "wet lead acid", etc. i just want to know if the battery that I bought is good to go out of the box or needs charging, thank you

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXPteamtimebomb View Post
    ok now im getting multiple different answers, the battery i bought (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UT16C...item2eb2245a72).. can it just be taken out of the box it was shipped to me in and placed in my ski and hit go? some are saying it needs to be charged, some say its sealed and ready to go.. im sorry for my frustration, i just know nothing about batteries and do not care about how they work, how its better than "wet lead acid", etc. i just want to know if the battery that I bought is good to go out of the box or needs charging, thank you
    Then put it in the ski and find out.

You really should not need to charge it before you install it.

If you do need to charge it, get a trickle charger that is for an AGM battery.

I use a couple of AGMs in 06' SeaDoos. I've gone a couple of months without riding and they are still charged. If I disconnected them, they would probably last 6 months or longer without needing a recharge after that. AGM batteries hold their charge very well.

If you disconnect the battery when you know it won't be used for a month or more, then hook it up to ride, then you may never even need a charger.

+1
    thanks, ive never used an AGM battery and all this is new to me and read that if they are charged and overcharged they can be damaged very easily so i just want to make sure i do everything right. I finally got in touch with someone at the place i bought it from and they told me that it should come ready to go so i will just hook it up and see what happens, thanks everyone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information