MSX 110 - Kill Switch Problem

I've got a 2004 MSX 110 - completely stock, no mods. At the end of last season the ski would not stop when you pulled off the lanyard or pressed the STOP button. I immediately assumed that the start/stop switch was bad, however in additional testing I found that without the lanyard inserted, the start button was completely disabled (normal behavior). I suspected some additional electrical problem was involved. I took it into a repair shop recently and they diagnosed that the ski needed a new ECU and a new start/stop switch - total cost around $1100 with labor. Frankly, I just want to get rid of this ski now and wasn't willing to spend that kind of money, so I decided to try and fix it myself. I bought a used ECU and start/stop button from a seller on ebay that indicated the ski they were parting out ran fine. After installing both parts, the ski exhibited the same behavior. In a discussion with the seller, he suggested that what I might need is a new PPU Interface plug (part number 2410451). When I googled that part number, I found a thread on this forum from 2009 for someone with the same problem that indicated the PPU Interface plug solved the problem (looks like the thread might be gone from here, but clicking on the google cache site allowed me to view it - google "MSX 110 Kill Switch" to see the thread). I ordered the part from the same supplier, installed it today AND... same problem still exists. I did try to "reset the ECU" by removing power from the ski for a while (10 minutes), then reattaching power, putting the key on the kill switch for 30 seconds and then removing it for 2 minutes before firing it up. Unfortunately, this had no effect on the behavior of the ski.

I'm hoping someone on here has an idea of something for me to try. I'm not much of a mechanic, so I don't have any deeper information to share. I do have access to a master mechanic that can help me, but he has no experience with this kind of ski. Any suggestions???

Thanks!

+1
    Hi John,

You were close, thew MSX has two 'modules' PPU and SIFB. You need the SIFB

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...a-tired-MSX150

This no. is from Pitstop
    SKU: 2410507
    INTERFACE-SYSTEM,POWER DWN C2 1 $39.29 Add to Cart

Cheers
    Last edited by Kosh; 03-11-2011 at 05:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks Kosh. I will get one of those. Where is that part located on the boat? I found the PPU easily enough, but I'm not sure where the SIFB is.

Thanks.

+1
    Hi John,

SIFB is down the back under the relay swinging in the breeze. Looks just like the PPU module.

Cheers

Cheers

Thread Information