FX HO...a few question's from a newb..

Hi all,
    Getting ready to start looking for a ski and I'm looking for some advice on a couple issues. I was hoping to find a leftover 08 or 09 for a nice price reduction on a new machine. However, I've been coming across 09's and 10's with super low hours w trailer for 7500-9500. What route would you guys go? Used would be nice to avoid tax's and use that money towards gas. What sort of thing's and or signs should I be wary of looking at a used ski? Are there area's that would indicate misuse or mistreatment? Any pointer's would be very much appreciated....

I can't help much on what to look for in a used ski as I'm a newbie too but keep in mind the differences between 08 FXHOs and 09s and later. The 08 has the smaller engine with the nano hull (08 was the first year for the FXHO nano hull) and the 09s and later have the more powerful 1.8 motor-- essentially the same motor that's in the SHO without the supercharger. I found 2 '10 FXHO Cruisers for $10500 each ( plus taxes) last August. ( couldnt find any good used ones in my area) On the surface, the prices you're seeing for used ones seem very good-- definitely want to learn what to look for. You may want to also post on the 4 stroke Yamaha forum here-- may get some good input.

Good thing about buying used is that you save yourself all the dealer fees, etc. The bad is that you could be buying someone's problems, even if it has low hours.

I generally buy my used skis while they still have warranty, also if you're looking at a used unit, get the VIN and you can call Yamaha and get the history and warranty status.

With that price you're looking at, I personally would start looking at low hour pre-owned units if you are paying cash, as you have a better chance of negotiating a price when you have cash in hand.

I have owned 2 of the older FX's before I got my SHO and loved them, I haven't ridden one with the newer 1812cc motor.

Thanks for the reply's guy's. It's funny, I just found two 09 sho's for 5,000?! One has 13.7 hours the other 14.2 sounds impossible to believe right? It's via internet so I responded kinda half a$$ishly, but the guy wants to do it through ebay to ease my apprehensions (using paypal). Ebay sent me an email saying I have 3 days to inspect the rig's and if I don't like anything about it they with-hold payment and the ski's get sent back. What do you guy's think? Seems like the worse case scenario I send them back and get my refund. The guy lives in canada and says he has no buyers market to sell them since he moved from the states. He says they're registered in the US and he has all dealership maintenance records, clean bill of sale, etc. I think I'm completely protected by using ebay/pay pal right? Sorry for the long post, and appreciate all the help.

+1
    Scam!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mando View Post
    Thanks for the reply's guy's. It's funny, I just found two 09 sho's for 5,000?! One has 13.7 hours the other 14.2 sounds impossible to believe right? It's via internet so I responded kinda half a$$ishly, but the guy wants to do it through ebay to ease my apprehensions (using paypal). Ebay sent me an email saying I have 3 days to inspect the rig's and if I don't like anything about it they with-hold payment and the ski's get sent back. What do you guy's think? Seems like the worse case scenario I send them back and get my refund. The guy lives in canada and says he has no buyers market to sell them since he moved from the states. He says they're registered in the US and he has all dealership maintenance records, clean bill of sale, etc. I think I'm completely protected by using ebay/pay pal right? Sorry for the long post, and appreciate all the help.

NO NO NO!!! It IS a scam! That happened to my brother a couple years back but with 2 dirt bikes. DO NOT do it!

SCAM! It's all over craigslist.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FtLaudBlkGT View Post
    SCAM! It's all over craigslist.
    TOTAL SCAM BRO!!! That's why sooooo cheap!!! I saw the same thing b4 I bought my 04GPR. I found one 4 $1500!! C'mon!!!

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    Yea, like its been said its a scam. I would purchase a used waverunner without a problem, as long as it looks like it has been taken care of you should be ok.

Thread Information