Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
  1. #1

    PLEASE Help Me Decide! 2011 VXR vs 2008 RXP 215

    These are the two brand new ski's I'm looking to pick up and obviously the RXP is a leftover that's been sitting for a few years. Greenhulk doesn't have a general PWC section? I hate to post this question in one specific brand forum but maybe help be choose based on....

    Riding Conditions: Main riding areas is a 6 to 7 mile stretch of the northern Delaware river blocked off at each end with narrow rapids but deep and smooth as glass in between. This is where I live and will be riding almost on a daily basis. Some trips to a local lake when I go riding with my boss who's also my friend. No ocean riding planned although I would like try it at least once.

    Riding Style: Single rider that likes to play around going sideways throwing up walls of water, 180's, and such (So I was trying to avoid some of the larger 3-seaters).

    Past PWC History: Beginner to the PWC world as of last summer buying a 1994 Yamaha VXR. Although it was so much fun that I rode it almost everyday, owning high performance motocross bikes (currently have a 2007 KX450f) has me craving for more of a powerful off the line and top speed rush like the MX bike. The 94 VXR doesn't accelerate that quick or go that fast, but is small, light, and maneuverable making it a ton of fun to do skids, 180's, and such. I like that it's wet ride (I work construction in the sun all day and like to get wet after a hard day of work).

    I've ridden a neighbors 2006 RXT 3-seater and that thing was a little too long and heavy for me. Although it was one of the most comfortable recreational vehicles I've ever ridden! I rode a 2001 GPR1200 which was lighter and shorter than the RXT, but I hated how "fat" the seat was...it wasn't a very comfortable ski compared to the Seadoo. Would the 2008 RXP be of similar comfort to the 2006 RXT?

    The 2011 VXR also has my attention. High performance, no supercharger/possibly less maintenance, a little smaller and lighter than the skis selling today, better on fuel. Although I don't have a lot of riding area like a ocean rider would, or someone that lived on a deeper part of the river where they could travel more than 7 miles, I do put a lot of hours on that small stretch of water. If I get home before dark and the weather is nice, I plan on riding.

    The RXP is local about 15 minutes away, the nearest Waverrunner dealer is hours away making it a pain to get to. I'm already approved for the loan on the RXP - I "can" go pick it right now if I wanted to, but wanted to get some insight from all you more experienced PWC guys.

    Although the RXP is a 2008 model and has been sitting in the dealers showroom for three years now and the 2011 VXR is not only brand new, but a "current" year model -- there's some options on the RXP that the VXR might not have (Trim for example). Based on the type of rider I am and the type of conditions I plan on riding in the most, which one of those two skis should I buy?

    Also, the dealer for the RXP is quoting me something like $11,000 OTD with a trailer. Is this too much for a 2008 leftover even though it's new and unused? Dealer quote on the VXR is $11,199.00 + $650.00 freight and dealer prep fees so the RXP will be a bit cheaper and possibly a higher quality model in the lineups, just not a "current" model.

    Features VS riding style VS price... which one to go for?? Now I've seen the RXP in person on the showroom and it does "look" like a pretty badass machine! I haven't had the chance to see the VXR in person. Should they both be about as maneuverable as each other? If they're going to be of similar performance, would it be better to get the one with more features and possibly more comfort? Is the more stripped down feature wise but still high performing VXR as good, better, or worse than the RXP? I don't really care about all the bells and whistles so much, but I suppose price being equal I should get the one with more features?

    PLEASE HELP I can't decide which one to get! I hate having to drive so far to even look at the VXR and the RXP is only 15 minutes away. But if the VXR would be a better route for me to take, then I suppose I'll have to take a day off and go check it out.

    Thanks for any help!


  2. #2
    83Gator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    St. Amant, LA
    Posts
    6,018
    +1
    304
    I'm an '06 RXT owner, but here's a few thoughts you might want to consider that you may not have addressed:

    Mods or Stock? If you're buying a platform to build on, the RXP has a long history of mods & pricing right here on this forum. I'm not sure but I don't think all the options are out yet for the VXR...

    Are you a DIY guy? If you are it prob. doesn't matter, but if not, it might matter that the SeaDoo dealer is that close to you.

    And yes, a SC 'P will eventually require extra maintenance, but from what I understand, if your looking for pure muscle out of the box, the 'P is hard to beat.

    Good luck w/your purchase; I'm sure others will chime in and give you some real experience answers.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    I'm an '06 RXT owner, but here's a few thoughts you might want to consider that you may not have addressed:

    Mods or Stock? If you're buying a platform to build on, the RXP has a long history of mods & pricing right here on this forum. I'm not sure but I don't think all the options are out yet for the VXR...

    Are you a DIY guy? If you are it prob. doesn't matter, but if not, it might matter that the SeaDoo dealer is that close to you.

    And yes, a SC 'P will eventually require extra maintenance, but from what I understand, if your looking for pure muscle out of the box, the 'P is hard to beat.

    Good luck w/your purchase; I'm sure others will chime in and give you some real experience answers.
    I'm looking for pure muscle out of the box.

    Plan on staying stock (I'd rather use the funds to make sure maintenance is done 100%) but might replace some basic parts for performance parts down the road (impeller for example). Definitely don't plan on doing anything major or even the first year. So yea, will be staying stock for the most part.

    I used to be a DIY'er, back when I was younger, raced MX, and had more free time I would do my own top end and suspension rebuilds. I really hate mechanic work anymore so other than general maintenance, shop will most likely be doing everything. I talked to a couple local Yamaha dealers last summer (bike/ATV dealers) and they said they don't even work on them. And the Seadoo dealer said other than winterizing, they don't work on other brands such as Yamaha.

    I really wish there was just one Waverunner dealer near me. I feel like if I where to draw a 100 mile circle around me, I'd be smack dab in the center of the circle of dealers. Just to go "look" at one will be a major pain for me and take up an entire day. And I'm not going to lie, my decision is "almost" made up because of this. I real REALLY hate driving long distances anymore.

    I dunno, you could probably flip a coin and give me either one randomly blind folded and I'd probably be equally happy with either one. Thanks for the input.

  4. #4
    If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dallas/Waxahachie
    Posts
    2,340
    +1
    109
    Im a Seadoo guy through and through but i've heard that that VXR is bad ass power to weight ratio

  5. #5
    WOT 88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Palm City, FL
    Posts
    1,147
    +1
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post
    These are the two brand new ski's I'm looking to pick up and obviously the RXP is a leftover that's been sitting for a few years. Greenhulk doesn't have a general PWC section? I hate to post this question in one specific brand forum but maybe help be choose based on....

    Riding Conditions: Main riding areas is a 6 to 7 mile stretch of the northern Delaware river blocked off at each end with narrow rapids but deep and smooth as glass in between. This is where I live and will be riding almost on a daily basis. Some trips to a local lake when I go riding with my boss who's also my friend. No ocean riding planned although I would like try it at least once.

    Riding Style: Single rider that likes to play around going sideways throwing up walls of water, 180's, and such (So I was trying to avoid some of the larger 3-seaters).

    Past PWC History: Beginner to the PWC world as of last summer buying a 1994 Yamaha VXR. Although it was so much fun that I rode it almost everyday, owning high performance motocross bikes (currently have a 2007 KX450f) has me craving for more of a powerful off the line and top speed rush like the MX bike. The 94 VXR doesn't accelerate that quick or go that fast, but is small, light, and maneuverable making it a ton of fun to do skids, 180's, and such. I like that it's wet ride (I work construction in the sun all day and like to get wet after a hard day of work).

    I've ridden a neighbors 2006 RXT 3-seater and that thing was a little too long and heavy for me. Although it was one of the most comfortable recreational vehicles I've ever ridden! I rode a 2001 GPR1200 which was lighter and shorter than the RXT, but I hated how "fat" the seat was...it wasn't a very comfortable ski compared to the Seadoo. Would the 2008 RXP be of similar comfort to the 2006 RXT?

    The 2011 VXR also has my attention. High performance, no supercharger/possibly less maintenance, a little smaller and lighter than the skis selling today, better on fuel. Although I don't have a lot of riding area like a ocean rider would, or someone that lived on a deeper part of the river where they could travel more than 7 miles, I do put a lot of hours on that small stretch of water. If I get home before dark and the weather is nice, I plan on riding.

    The RXP is local about 15 minutes away, the nearest Waverrunner dealer is hours away making it a pain to get to. I'm already approved for the loan on the RXP - I "can" go pick it right now if I wanted to, but wanted to get some insight from all you more experienced PWC guys.

    Although the RXP is a 2008 model and has been sitting in the dealers showroom for three years now and the 2011 VXR is not only brand new, but a "current" year model -- there's some options on the RXP that the VXR might not have (Trim for example). Based on the type of rider I am and the type of conditions I plan on riding in the most, which one of those two skis should I buy?

    Also, the dealer for the RXP is quoting me something like $11,000 OTD with a trailer. Is this too much for a 2008 leftover even though it's new and unused? Dealer quote on the VXR is $11,199.00 + $650.00 freight and dealer prep fees so the RXP will be a bit cheaper and possibly a higher quality model in the lineups, just not a "current" model.

    Features VS riding style VS price... which one to go for?? Now I've seen the RXP in person on the showroom and it does "look" like a pretty badass machine! I haven't had the chance to see the VXR in person. Should they both be about as maneuverable as each other? If they're going to be of similar performance, would it be better to get the one with more features and possibly more comfort? Is the more stripped down feature wise but still high performing VXR as good, better, or worse than the RXP? I don't really care about all the bells and whistles so much, but I suppose price being equal I should get the one with more features?

    PLEASE HELP I can't decide which one to get! I hate having to drive so far to even look at the VXR and the RXP is only 15 minutes away. But if the VXR would be a better route for me to take, then I suppose I'll have to take a day off and go check it out.

    Thanks for any help!
    I am not sure about the agility of the new VXR hull, but one thing you should be aware of coming off of an older VXR....you will not be spinning out or sliding sidways on an RXP. They corner like they are on rails...trying to spin one out is a sure fire way to get yourself pitched.

    11 k out the door is a tad bit steep for an 08, if you decide to go the RXP route try beating up the dealer on his price.

    IMO, if you are a performance oriented person the RXP is a great platform to start with and has tons of room for upgardes. Not bashinhg the VXR but it's new, therefore you can expect prices for aftermarket upgrades to be a bit higher. And as always, there can be unforseen problems with the VXR. The RXP itself had issues the first couple of years.

    Much can be written pro and con, it comes down to what you are seeking.... I can tell you for myself that I grew up racing motocross, I have had a shit ton of ski's....My X boat is the closest thing I've found on the water that gives me the thrill I once founed on the mx track.

  6. #6
    Def. question the price. I Just picked up an 08 RXP leftover in CT, it was in the crate. I got a five year warranty thrown in and Im out the door for a tad over $9,000

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by WOT 88 View Post
    I am not sure about the agility of the new VXR hull, but one thing you should be aware of coming off of an older VXR....you will not be spinning out or sliding sidways on an RXP. They corner like they are on rails...trying to spin one out is a sure fire way to get yourself pitched.
    This is the type of goofing around I plan on doing when not cruising around or doing WOT straight run blasts:



    I realise my old VXR is a flat bottom and I don't expect to skid sideways for miles but basically like to play around like the above video. RXP should flick around similar to the one in the vid, no?



    Quote Originally Posted by WOT 88 View Post
    11 k out the door is a tad bit steep for an 08, if you decide to go the RXP route try beating up the dealer on his price.
    That price included trailer, registration, etc... What should I offer? Maybe 10k with trailer OTD?

    Quote Originally Posted by WOT 88 View Post
    And as always, there can be unforseen problems with the VXR. The RXP itself had issues the first couple of years.
    So the 08 model RXP is a pretty solid and reliable ski with no dramatic show stopping flaws that should make me pass on it?

    Seasonal or 100hr supercharger rebuild....check.
    Second job to afford gas to run it...check.
    Anything else?

    Quote Originally Posted by WOT 88 View Post
    Much can be written pro and con, it comes down to what you are seeking.... I can tell you for myself that I grew up racing motocross, I have had a shit ton of ski's....My X boat is the closest thing I've found on the water that gives me the thrill I once founed on the mx track.
    It's crazy but I just don't feel comfortable on the dirt anymore. I feel much more at home on the water, heh, and I would of never thought going from jumping 60ft+ table tops to basically no jumps at all (small waves) could be so much fun. I lived on the river for 30+ years and never even tried a PWC until last summer, lol. Good transition hobby getting too old and scared of injury on the MX track. A summer of riding PWCs I couldn't believe how much a bikes bars bang around from every little bump where PWC on the water is just so super smooth, heh. But the main thing is the fun-factor. I feel just like that 8 year old kid again getting his first dirt bike. No seriously, I never thought in a million years PWC where so much fun. Definitely more fun then they look!

    I really appreciate all the insight. With 11k on the line, I want to "try" to get it as right as possible.... With MX/ATV's it's so easy for me since I've been into the sport for 25 years now and I only have from last July till now with PWC.

  8. #8

    Smile

    Well I'm a proud new owner of.... wait hold the phone.. that wouldn't be much fun... Gotta guess what I picked up today hehe... Guess which one I got... the 2011 VXR or the left over 2008 RXP?

  9. #9
    Banned User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lake Havasu
    Posts
    2,924
    +1
    27
    VXR???
    And lemme guess, you feel like this?;

  10. #10
    Got the RXP, lol.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2006 rxp vs 2008 rxp (215)????
    By tocullo in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-05-2012, 04:43 PM
  2. 2006 RXP 215 vs 2008 RXP 215
    By juan valdez in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-05-2011, 05:38 PM
  3. FZR/GPR-Please help me decide!
    By Mongoose in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-08-2010, 03:45 AM
  4. Looking to get a new ski. Please help me decide..... fzr or 1300r?
    By fosgate99 in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-20-2010, 05:43 PM
  5. Please Help Me Decide on FA's
    By eurokidlt in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 08:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •