+1

FXHO Worx or R&D intake grate

Looking for an aftermarket intake grate for 2007 Fxho. Worx and R&D look sturdier than Riva so those are my choices. I ride in rough Caribbean waters. Found some info on R&D grates but not much on Worx grates. Anyone ever try one?

Ditto

I am looking for the same thing for a 2006 FX HO. The is a lot of confusion on which grates fit which boats, for me at least. The FX FX 140 etc. Anyway I am thinking I will try the Solas SY0303 (price is good). The website has a list of applications. I agree on the single bar riva. It may never break but I think the solas looks strong with the dual rear bars like the aquavein. Has anyone put a Solas grate on their boat?

+1
    Jetskibruce the only person on this forum i've seen that tried the solas grate is FX160. Just finished reading abracadabra's post on 2006 fx ho 160 project, what a awesome project so far, wish there were more projects on the fx series. I'm now considering the riva grate and fx sho rideplate combo because it looks like it all fits flush. The only thing i've read on the worx grate so far is it's kinda the middle of the road between riva and r&d. Riva fastest and r&d most hookup and slowest but I would still like to hear anyone that has one or has tried one.

Thanks blue333, I searched with those terms and it seems FX160 liked the results with the solas grate. I am reading the 160 project with intrest too. I saw you liked the plugs. It is time I changed mine so I will add the CR9EK plugs. I am just glad I can put some gas in and go one and a while - I typically head out for 2 - 3 hrs and burn most of a tank when I can get away. I think a grate will really help me, I love to run in different kinds of chop and hopping out and trying to time the waves. The only mod I have so far is a home made water box removal and no curtains.

Update

I received the Solas Grate from iboats and installed the CR9EK plugs last week. The ski seemed to really respond Saturday in the rough with the grate. No GPS numbers but if felt like it was much more hooked up and when it did unhook it grabbed again very quickly. What I like about the design is it the wing in the intake has just a slight twist that seems like it would start the water swirling in the right direction in sync with the impeller rotation.
    It ran really well also so the plugs did their job too.

+1
    @JETSKIBRUCE I'm using the new RIVA FXSHO plate on my FX140 with excellent results. The R&D grate was back ordered so I went with the RIVA single bar grate, no complaints so far. I ride 90% ocean and its a great combo. Will soon try the new plugs myself.

+1
    Jetskibruce you weren't kidding about the price nice deal. I did more searching and found a picture, I see what you mean about the wing. Does the Solas grate fit flush with the stock rideplate? Did you put a pump seal kit in when you installed the Solas grate, I've heard of possible unpredictable handling with aftermarket grates without the pump seal kit.

I while back I had removed the stock grate and the shoe behind it. I sealed the shoe with silicone around the edges, and I think that does do most of the pump sealing. It certainly helped with the cavitation. At time time I wasn't ordering a grate but I was thinking about it. When I remove the bolts I try to chase the threads gently with a tap to clean them. Then I always make sure to use a teflon thread sealant for all bolts. When I went to remove them this time to change the grate they came out nicely. The solas grate looks very nice, even my wife had to admit it even though she was shaking her head as to what it was (my birthday present ). I will see if I can get a picture of under the boat to post here for you this weekend.

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bex View Post
    @JETSKIBRUCE I'm using the new RIVA FXSHO plate on my FX140 with excellent results. The R&D grate was back ordered so I went with the RIVA single bar grate, no complaints so far. I ride 90% ocean and its a great combo. Will soon try the new plugs myself.
    Thats cool, I have been thinking what to do about the plate and it is neat now that we know the FXSHO plates fit. When I was sealing my intake shoe, I removed all of the plate bolts except the one by the speed wheel (I couldn't get one of the speed screws out) So I need to take time and go back to do that. I was going to start by shimming the front a bit. I should go talk to Jim and see his plates since he is just up the road. On my older ski I did change the plate and it really helped the handling so thanks for the update, because Tampa Bay isn't the ocean but it and the Gulf can get pretty rough. I think you will like the plugs, be sure to find some of the spark plug nipples for them, NGK leaves them out now. Our coil packs need the nipples but I guess most motorcycles that use these plugs don't. Any place that changes plugs for bikes or cars should be able to dig up a few to give you or very cheap.

+1
    Well I went with the R&D grate, hookup is like night and day. The Worx grate I ordered was sent the wrong shipping speed for the carnival races I entered, still waiting on it. Not sure if I'm going to try the worx when it arrives or send it back to DK. I wanted to add parts one at a time to see where the speed comes from but since I had the race coming up I put on r&d velocity stacks & grate, riva power filter, ppk, and freeflow exhaust. These parts made a huge difference in handling and can see more enjoyable ocean riding on the horizon. Next I'll get the riva sho rideplate and the Solas dynafly. I got 2nd place(by a boat length)in the closed course race out of 3 skis in my class and had a blast, the carnival boat race is a short 3 laps in the harbor fun event and the prize money helps pay for more parts

Thread Information