FZS Yamaha cover not waterproof?

My new ski just arrived with its new Yamaha cover. After a rain, the foot wells were full of water, and the bottom side of the cover was wet. I thought this thing would be waterproof, especially for the price. Water sitting in the foot wells for possibly weeks at a time will end up being a petri dish for every kind of green crap imaginable. Do I have a bad cover, or are they not waterproof in the first place? If not, and I can't leave the ski tilted up while outside, how should I keep the water from accumulating in the foot wells? Maybe I need a cover for my cover!

+1
    If the cover is new you shouln't have any trouble. But even on new covers some rain gets in, but not much. If the over is old or used I would spray it down with some water repellent which can be purchessed at most sporting goods stores.

It's brand new, and the foot wells were full. For $170, I expected a lot better rain protection.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
    It's brand new, and the foot wells were full. For $170, I expected a lot better rain protection.
    Wow I've never heard of water getting in that bad, espeically on a brand new cover. At most I get 2 inches of water in my footwells on my 2 year old cover when it rains hard. Maybe yours didn't have the waterproofing chemical applied to it. I would return it.

I am of the opinion that the covers intended purpose is protection primarily from the effects of the Sun.

The material used seems to be very popular in the entire boating segment.

Even Yamaha does not say Waterproof:

"Our covers are constructed of ultra-durable Sur Last® fabric for the ultimate protection against fading and the elements. It is also non-abrasive, water-repellent, UV, mildew, and rot resistant."

I used Ragg-Top on my Boxster top when I had it. That may be a useful addition to waterproof the cover if it does not cause breathablity issues.

Correct, the covers are not designed to be 100% waterproof (especially in a heavy rain). Personally I use them for "sun" protection and for some theft protection where I ride in the summer months. I have had people peel off my Registration Stickers before on a non covered Ski. I think the cover is a slight deterent to someone walking around at night looking for "free" registration stickers . . .

Thread Information