Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ski in my truck box

I have come up with a plan to winch my ski (on trailer) into the box of my truck so that I can also pull my 34' travel trailer behind. I have ordered a hinge kit for my ski trailer http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/ite...230101&eq=&Tp=
    which will save me about 3' making it possible for the ski and trailer to be winched into the box using atv ramps. I have figured out the measurements in the attached diagram.

Please let me know what you think, and/or if you have a better way of doing this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pwc-hauler.gif 
Views:	106 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	232423

Nice drawing! I like the idea also. The only thing I could see going wrong here is the use of regular ratchet straps. By that I mean if they stretch during your trip epecially, if they get wet and you dont have much of a buffer before the rear wheels of the trailer would go off the back according to your drawing. That being said, you would need to figure out a good way to strap it with chains IMO. Also, I would be sure to run a strap across the front of the trailer to prevent it from possibly poping up and coming through your back glass.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Your trailer wheels are situated directly under the ski? That strikes me as odd. both of mine are wider than the ski, hence the reason for the fenders.

You'll definately need to "chock" the trailer wheels to keep the whole unit from wanting to move inside the bed during accel.

Plus you'll want to strap the ski down pretty good too.

+1
    I've thought about putting a ski in the back of the truck too (going to Mudbug--'00 SLX).

What I thought about was building a bunk system with some smooth gliders and a winch located in the bed by my gooseneck ball receiver. When getting to the ramp, have another bunk system like a ramp to install and slide the ski down the two sets of ramps and into the water.

It would have to work. I saw (helped) a guy at Mudbug put a GPR in the water from the back of a 3/4 ton Cheby.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    2 seaters don't weigh all that much.

4 guys can easily lift one in and out of the bed. We did a couple times with mine.

Although I have a bed lift to load/unload the ski by myself.

http://www.greenhulk.net/gallery/sho...im1120/cat/630

+1
    How's that work?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Will the PWC trailer wheels be fully supported by the truck bed, or partially on the tailgate? Is the tailgate staying on the truck?

+1 to the ratchet straps and chains. Safety overrides all other considerations.

Be sure to consider the worst case scenarios, which must include not only extreme hard braking with and without the large trailer behind, but also frontal impact of the truck while the PWC is in the bed. You really don't want that hull coming forward into the cab, no matter how badly crushed the front of the truck gets.

Somewhere on here is a photo illustrating what can happen when the ski is not well secured during a collision. In that photo, the PWC is right on top of the car roof...

For getting your chains tight, the best binders I ever came across were Peck and Hale. We use them in the Air Force to secure our cargo in the jets. Yes, they are way stronger than what you would need, but they can be operated by hand, and no lever to mess with. Simply twist the ring by hand until its tight. Here is a ebay listing for reference. You can get these through many surplus stores. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=360145463674

Also, the chain locks into the end opposite of the hook on the binder, just lay it in there and close the latch. It is molded to the shape of the chain and it will not come out.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Your trailer wheels are situated directly under the ski?
    Drawing not exact to profile pic

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Will the PWC trailer wheels be fully supported by the truck bed, or partially on the tailgate? Is the tailgate staying on the truck?
    Yes, fully supported and i think I will NOT have the tailgate on. I agree, safety is #1. Even though the diagram shows the ski level, I might have it nose down so if it does move it won't come through my back window.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jackofalltrades View Post
    For getting your chains tight, the best binders I ever came across were Peck and Hale.
    Thanks, I will look into them. I am also looking at some tire straps:

Here is another way of doing it, but the sled deck would add more weight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0185.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	232461

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information