Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

98 seadoo gs wont start with start button

my friend has a 98 gs when we put the key on it beeps but will not turn over with the start button i can jump the solenoid and it turns over freely but dont have any spark i checked the start button its good and swapped out the solenoid its still doing nothing also ran a jumper cable to eliminate a bad ground wire also checked all the fuses in the rear elec box and the fuses in the mpem all are good the ski was running fine when we parked it any help will be greatly appreciated
    thanks Les

+1
    Check your lanyard and the DESS post. Clean the contacts inside the lanyard and on the DESS post with steel wool to see if that helps. The post itself may also be faulty, check the wiring first and then I would check the continuity at the post. A search of the site (or others) may tell you what your multi-meter readings should be.

if the post was bad would it still give me beeps when the key is put on ?

If you get two beeps DESS is working as designed.

Thanks .thats what I thought about the dess post .

Hi I'm new in here and just got a 1998 GTS, and I'm having exactlythe same problem, just wondering if found any solution, I think I have a defective MPEM but not sure
    Thanks

Ahhhhhhh!!! I thought I was about to read the answer! Somebody PLEASE reply with a fix!!! My '96 GTI developed this SAME problem this weekend. I've even swapped out the MPEM from my other GTI... still no start, no spark, but get two beeps when lanyard put on. Can hear the ignition relay click, but softly. (Took the relay out and applied voltage and it clicks loudly.) When installed I can short the ignition relay posts and spin the starter. Even swapped the ignition relay out with my other ski. Nope. Battery swap- nope, same problem. All wires look fine too. Cannot find anything else wrong!

I'm completely stumped on this one.

+1
    Check the magneto coil for continuity and shorts to ground. If this is good check the multi pin connector on the mag cover. If these connections are bad then the MPEM is not getting a signal from the magneto coil to fire the plugs. The yellow wires are charging and the black are the magneto coil.

I just had to pull, clean and add dielectric grease the fuses in mine . Didn't look bad at all just a little white. Also seen the Pin to red wire corrode off plug on the elect box.

I found my problem! I was hunting on the wrong end by being at the gray electrical box!! Ended up taking the Mag cover off. Removed the flywheel. Found some charging coil wires with the insulation nicked and they were touching each other. Was bad enough I had to cut that little section out. No shrapnel found in there... so I'm unsure of what tore them up! I had just checked the timing a week before all this happening. (Of course that requires flywheel removal and small turns to the coil.) I must not have protected the coils wires from the flywheel good enough when buttoning everything back up. How I messed that up, I don't know! I'll just be a lot more careful when re-installing this time!!

How all this causes the "start button" problem is all still an electrical mystery when it all ties back into that black boxed MPEM. But without a doubt those coil wires are the problem. Will know for certain tomorrow when I make all the needed wire repairs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information