How To Take Back Our Lost Freedoms

Gentlemen,
    Here in Louisiana we have a shot of gradually restoring our lost freedom of being able to ride in our WMA's.
    We made small gains last year and this year we can gain more ground.
    It is believed we can open up the Pearl River and Maurapas WMA's. We can do one more WMA if we have someone willing to just send a request.
    Please contact me so we can get it done.
    Thanks,
    Dennis

+1
    Can I get the contact info on who to write?

+1

Exclamation

FYI All Louisiana PWC Riders: Now is your chance to be proactive in having an anti-PWC rule reversed. You are all welcome to join me and others at the next LDWF board meeting which is scheduled for Thursday (04/07/11) at 9:30AM. What is this about? In case you didn't know, it is illegal to operate a PWC in the WMAs of Louisiana. At that meeting, the Personal Watercraft Industry Assoc. will be representing all LA riders in an attempt to have this part of LDWFs code reversed. If you ever wanted to have your say, now is your chance.

I plan on being there as I'm sure Dennis "Coonass" will be (or so I've heard). I've also been told that PWIA's director will be present to help lead the charge.

I will fight for my rights and your's too, but it makes for a more impressive offense if we were to show up in numbers. If you can find the time to make it, your presence would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Thank you GH member Coonass (Dennis) for spearheading this issue.

+1
    I will be there. We need to post a link in the louisiana connection thread.

+1
    Forgive the ignorance, but what is a "WMA?"

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    Forgive the ignorance, but what is a "WMA?"
    Wildlife Management Area: basically large tracts of land, water, or both that are set aside for hunting purposes and are managed by the LA Dept. of Wildlife & Fisheries (LDWF). We've got dozens throughout the state and they're great "playgrounds" for our LA sportsmen. But, they banned PWCs from entering them... and we want in!

+1
    LDWF Meeting (04/07/11) Update: As a matter was before the Commission regarding WMA Hunting Rules & Regs, we took the opportunity to plea the case of the unfair ban of PWCs from our WMAs. Representing all PWC owners who live in and/or ride our state water-ways was GH members Lasportsmn (GL), Coonass (Dennis), and myself. Also attending and testifying on our behalf was Mr. Dennis Dickerson, representing the Nat'l. Marine Manufct's. Assoc.

Basically we all pleaded our case and this time the board did seem somewhat more interested than was my previous experience a year ago. I won't go into all the boring details, but by the meetings end, we requested seven diff. amendments to be appended to the state's current WMA code. Those seven amendments were for seven diff. WMAs in various places of the state and obviously have large areas of navigable water-ways. Will we get them all? Doubtful, but even one is progress...

Those amendments will be voted on by the Commission at next month's meeting. Yes, we won a battle by just getting a matter passed that could be voted on, but we certainly have not won the war. If you are reading this, and are a LA resident that owns or rides a PWC - YOU CAN HELP! If you'll send me a PM, I can help you construct a letter to be sent to the Commissioners. Unfortunately, we are not a heavily organized bunch that carries a huge amount of clout, so every little bit helps...

Fingers X.

+1
    Billy, If multiple letters of support are submitted, it is better to submit a personal letter, than a formatted, cookie-cutter letter. If you send me a copy of the letter, I will paraphrase into my own words, sign and mail immediately. Provide mailing address too, please.

Thanks for the personal representation, guys.

+1
    Yes, J., you are correct... I've never liked "boiler plate" letters for taking a stance. I will work on it by early next week and have it peer reviewed by our rep. from DC. Once it has received a favorable review, I'll pass it on to the rest of you guys.

And so it begins: http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/o...FC-agenda.html

Please, all of you LA PWC residential riders/owners, we really need your support on this... please PM me if you are willing to help. All I will be asking of you is to pen a letter, of which I will help construct.

Thread Information