2003 GP1300R D-Plate. Which brand is bes to just bolt on as a cat replacement only?

I know this topic has been beat to death and I have read a lot of the posts but please chime in on my specific scenario. I have (2) 2003 GP1300R's with roughly 80 hours on each. I am taking them into my local Yamaha dealer for the throttle cable replacement. Everything I have read leads me to belive that this is a perfect time to have the cats replaced with D-Plates (and resistor chip). The dealer went to Riva's website and read where it says that the Riva D-Plates require the EFI cintroller and said if I do not ge the controller they will have to make a note in the repair statement indicating my desire not to have EFI controllers installed.

I have no desire to make any additional mods to my skis. I just want them to run reliably and not have the cats fail on me. Is the Riva/EFI combo truly overkill? I read somewhere that the R&D D-Plate has a smaller opening and more closely mimics the factory default pressure with a cat in. Is this a better D-Plate for my situation? If not, what is the best solution for my specific scenario? I have to take these skis in soon so please help out! Thanks in advance!

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ksliger View Post
    I know this topic has been beat to death and I have read a lot of the posts but please chime in on my specific scenario. I have (2) 2003 GP1300R's with roughly 80 hours on each. I am taking them into my local Yamaha dealer for the throttle cable replacement. Everything I have read leads me to belive that this is a perfect time to have the cats replaced with D-Plates (and resistor chip). The dealer says that the Riva D-Plates require the efi cintroller and if I do not ge the controller they will have to make a note in the repair statement indicating my desire not to have efi controllers installed. I have no desire to make any additional mods to my skis. I just want them to run reliably and not have the cats fail on me. Is the Riva/EFI combo truly overkill? I read somewhere that the R&D D-Plate has a smaller opening and more closely mimics the pressured with a cat in. Is this a better D-Plate for my situation? I have to take these skis in soon so please help out! Thanks in advance!
    1300 efi use the riva D plate with chip, You do not need a controller just for a D plate.

Thanks for the quick reply! Any realy discernable difference with Riva D-Plate vs. R&D, factory. etc...?

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ksliger View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply! Any realy discernable difference with Riva D-Plate vs. R&D, factory. etc...?
    the rule of thumb is 1200 use the smaller R&D, 1300 use the riva and 1400 use the riva and open up 120 thousands bigger.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    the rule of thumb is 1200 use the smaller R&D, 1300 use the riva and 1400 use the riva and open up 120 thousands bigger.
    Ditto on that

Dont mean to hi-jack, but I have been wondering the same thing. (03 GRR1300) What happens if the D-Plate is installed, and I dont get a chip?

Would excessive smoke and off-sounding exhaust be a symptom of a clogged cat?
    My ski is an 07 with 72 hrs. I haven't ridden it in 4 months and today it smoked pretty excessively for around 5 minutes on initial start up. I fired it up for a few seconds on the trailer and the exhaust doesn't sound as throaty as usual when bliping to 3k rpm

Thread Information