Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    If u aint FIRST your LAST!!!! SpeedFreak's Avatar

riva s3 or stock stinger

i was thinking about getting the riva s3 stinger but got to doing some research and saw a post there a guy had a s1 and everyone was saying go back to stock. Is the stock one better than the s3? Any relateable info will be much appreated.thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedFreak View Post
    i was thinking about getting the riva s3 stinger but got to doing some research and saw a post there a guy had a s1 and everyone was saying go back to stock. Is the stock one better than the s3? Any relateable info will be much appreated.thanks
    you would also have to research what they were made for and why and what claims.
    From what I understand, those type of pipes were primarily for CC boats that needed off the line acceleration and good bottom end. They were good aftermarket parts for the time and for the 1200 and shed a lot of the weight of the OEM stinger making the ski lighter where every bit helped.
    Since the introduction of the Fercho method of jetworks flow control with the OEM stinger, you basically had a better all around pipe with the bottom end pull of the S1-3 and Pro-tec Turbo Tube...

With the jetworks kit keeping the water box dry off ilde you basically have the same results as the aftermarket tubes and keep all of the top end speed and max rpm... given you have the right tune and impeller...

IMHO it all depends on what your goals are, if you want to squeek out every last drop of top speed, then no this S3 is not for you... There is a varying degree of lesser top RPM`s between the different types and some are tunable thru a flow control valve for the amount of water introduced into the pipe at that point.
    There are still some ski`s running these types of pipe/stingers bc they are used for what they are for...

remember, any combination needs to be properly tuned to get peak rpm`s and speed...

for some interesting reading, look around the riva forums for when the tubes were used back in the day and what they did...

I`m currently using a new Pro-tec turbo tube just to find out for myself and make a fair assessment comparing it to the OEM stinger...on a stock engine... modified engines will have different results.

hopefully someone else here can get more technical with the different back pressures and sonic wave exhaust pulse info... to help you understand where these pipes had their time in the lime light...

Maybe WFO, Philip, Oside, 2fast, Hydro, Ben, Fullboogie, Woody, Jim, Kerry, etc shed some tech on ya...

If u aint FIRST your LAST!!!! SpeedFreak's Avatar
    thank you pale.... im new to the whole ski thing still.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedFreak View Post
    thank you pale.... im new to the whole ski thing still.
    me too!

if you got the S3 pipe at a really good deal, I would say it is worth trying. somewhere between $200 and under... if your ski is close to stock is where you should feel the differences between the 2...
    now if you already have your existing stinger drilled and tapped and fitted for the jetworks kit, and have the necc lines and bypass fittings/outlet, then I don`t think you`d beat the OEM/jetworks set up... for off the line and max top end...

there are few ways to skin the cat... you can add or negatively remove RPM`s with the right or wrong tune and impeller pitch as well...
    just need to figure out what you want out of the ski and where...

I don`t know if there are any jetting requirements when using the Riva S Stingers, someone here should be able to tell you that...

Hey Andy, you using it on your efi 1300? I know there are some previous threads on this but not nearly enough as other topics. Did you get the usual bottom/mid gains from it? Did you notice any lean conditions?

How much was the new protec...did you say 200??? Or are u talkin used (?). Is the 1200 tube the same as 1300?

Sorry all the questions Angj...thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by jim mcgreehan View Post
    Hey Andy, you using it on your efi 1300? I know there are some previous threads on this but not nearly enough as other topics. Did you get the usual bottom/mid gains from it? Did you notice any lean conditions?

How much was the new protec...did you say 200??? Or are u talkin used (?). Is the 1200 tube the same as 1300?

Sorry all the questions Angj...thanks man.
    Hey Jim!
    yes, it is on my 1300 shown in the pic. Carl of pro-tec said it works on the efi ski`s. True, I scoured the forum and found very little data on this pipe. I did read some feedback on it on the Riva forums, but they were 1200 carb`d ski`s.
    I`m sure the performance differences lye in the larger diameter of the pipe along with the calibrated water injected aluminum coupler. I don`t know the exact specifics, but I would say when pro-tec developed this set up, they made the opening in the coupler the correct size to work with the tube just like the D-plates with the OEM stinger...
    I have read that there is an increase in holeshot and acceleration compared to a stock oem stinger alone. and that was the intended goal for this part. I no longer have the jetworks mod. I have also read where this pipe cost RPM up top, but I am not concerned with chasing 50-60 rpm and can tune max rpm with impeller pitch...
    I don`t have any data yet as the rebuild is fresh and ski has not been run in the water yet. The Turbo tube was purchased new from Jim @ Atlanticjetsports.com I was referring the $200.00 used pricing for a Riva S pipe...
    The Pro-tec Turbo tube can be used in the 1200 XLT, and 1200-1300 GPR`s...

http://www.atlanticjetsport.com/inde...ct_detail&p=23

+1
    Damn Andy, I had to put my sunglasses on just to make out the pipe.

-I like how it mounts and opens up the hull. The OEM has to be ~12 lbs heavier.
    -I like my jetworks but your ski looks good.

ps. Black plug wires would look cool.

Quote Originally Posted by steach View Post
    Damn Andy, I had to put my sunglasses on just to make out the pipe.

-I like how it mounts and opens up the hull. The OEM has to be ~12 lbs heavier.
    -I like my jetworks but your ski looks good.
    Hi Erin!
    it`s pretty cool, how pro-tec has the water metered thru the coupler and down to the connection where the tube meets the waterbox. it has a small orfice for the tube itself, and a small orfice for the black rubber hose going to the waterbox/coupler area, and the balance gets dumped like the stock oem outlet to the transom...

I am very interested in the results from this...
    I will never again run a jetworks mod on any of my skis, and the OEM pipe is a PITA to deal with. Are you going to run that pipe with stock SS or with a FF tube?

From what you've gathered, how much speed is lost on top end, and how much is gained on the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by PuprleNuprleGPR View Post
    I am very interested in the results from this...
    I will never again run a jetworks mod on any of my skis, and the OEM pipe is a PITA to deal with. Are you going to run that pipe with stock SS or with a FF tube?
    look in here:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...f-Changes-quot

From what you've gathered, how much speed is lost on top end, and how much is gained on the bottom?
    why wouldn`t you now run a jetworks mod, share your story...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information