Missing 500 rpm + rusty spark plugs = stock intercooler leak

For a few rides now I have been missing 500 rpm from my top end. I thought it was due to having an incorrect prop supplied and installed (13/24). Upon finding out that the shop had stuffed up I had the correct prop installed (13/21) and still, I was missing 500 rpm.

I took out my spark plugs to see if there were any issues there, gave them a clean and put them back in. Went for another ride then took them back out and they were very slightly rusty.

I removed my stock intercooler and connected one side to my house hose connection and I blocked off the other side and guess what ............. at town water pressure I found a very small dribble of water leaking into the air side of the intercooler, meaning my motor was trying to burn water, costing me rpm's.

Water was leaking via the bottom "O" ring and a small imperfection in the cast allow casing. I applied some loctite 515 and used an electric waterpump to double the water pressure. No more leak !

Even though the leak was gone I was still nervous so I jumped in the car and drove two hours to Watson Racing and bought one of their custom intercoolers, very nice indeed although a real pain in the ass to install.

Took the ski back out today and there you go, my top rpm is back up 500 rpm !!

Something to keep in mind if you find you are missing rpm for reasons unknown !!

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Thanks for the heads-up, thats somthing to keep an eye on.

+1
    Good to see your back on track Dan!

+1
    good point
    i have heard of a couple of stock intercooler's leaking after adding extra cooling

kev

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_FZR View Post
    For a few rides now I have been missing 500 rpm from my top end. I thought it was due to having an incorrect prop supplied and installed (13/24). Upon finding out that the shop had stuffed up I had the correct prop installed (13/21) and still, I was missing 500 rpm.

I took out my spark plugs to see if there were any issues there, gave them a clean and put them back in. Went for another ride then took them back out and they were very slightly rusty.

I removed my stock intercooler and connected one side to my house hose connection and I blocked off the other side and guess what ............. at town water pressure I found a very small dribble of water leaking into the air side of the intercooler, meaning my motor was trying to burn water, costing me rpm's.

Water was leaking via the bottom "O" ring and a small imperfection in the cast allow casing. I applied some loctite 515 and used an electric waterpump to double the water pressure. No more leak !

Even though the leak was gone I was still nervous so I jumped in the car and drove two hours to Watson Racing and bought one of their custom intercoolers, very nice indeed although a real pain in the ass to install.

Took the ski back out today and there you go, my top rpm is back up 500 rpm !!

Something to keep in mind if you find you are missing rpm for reasons unknown !!

at least it didn't run Hot Home made sprayer lol

yeah i had this on a brand new ski after one race day on a stock class ski
    the bores looked like a peice of colour bond
    i had to big bore the engine to salvage it

Also reduces detonation.

Thread Information