Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Found some kind of pump cone extension in slx 780

I was in the process of putting a new impeller in my 95 slx 780, when i went to put the pump cone back on, i noticed that there was about a 1 inch long metal extension ring that makes the pump cone stick out further. I seperated the two, and the nose cone still fits on the pump fine. Two questions, will it help my low end by using a shorter a nose cone? And also, it looks like a factory peiece but the parts diagrams doesnt show it, is it aftermarket?

+1
    From Randy....

96 slx 780 its a tail cone spacer was used with the twisted 4 wedge that ski ran to compensate for the right steer condition associated with the 5 vane stator,also used a one off water supply tube as well

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow 1995-1996 SLX780, 1996 SLT780, 1996 SL900 models came with an unusual 'twisted' pump

From my (recently updated) jet pump notes;

1995-1996 SLX780, 1996 SLT780 and 1996 SL900 models came with an unusual 'twisted' jet pump configuration. These oddball jet pumps used some/all of the following;
    Pump wedge (5630564) has a compound angle
    3/4" angled stator tail cone Extension (5131245, item 14)
    3/16" longer water tube (5131166)

Note: Polaris's online parts diagrams say the 1995 SL 650 STD also used the 5131245 tail cone extension, but without the twisted wedge

Last edited by K447; 03-21-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Ok thanks. I was thinking of getting the freestyle pump cone from wet wolf, which is a shorter cone. What if I just removed the tail cone extension and used the stock cone, would that improve the low end since its shorter too?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachbum3478 View Post
    Ok thanks. I was thinking of getting the freestyle pump cone from wet wolf, which is a shorter cone. What if I just removed the tail cone extension and used the stock cone, would that improve the low end since its shorter too?
    I may be incorrect, but my understanding is that low end thrust is improved because the AAT allows the exit nozzle to be bored larger.

The larger nozzle diameter increases low speed thrust, while the AAT compensates at higher speeds to reduce the effective water jet cross-section of the exit nozzle from the inside.

The AAT can be used to improve top end speed with a stock(ish) exit nozzle, or recover lost top end speed due to an enlarged exit nozzle.

Another effect of changing tail cone sizes is how the jet pump responds to unhooking from the water, then re-hooking upon water reentry. Until the entire volume behind the stator is filled with solid water, there is very little thrust.

The Polaris Pro 785 jet pump configuration has a huge void behind the stator, which apparently degrades pump recovery. Wetwolf sells an extended AAT model that fills up the excess room, improving jet pump recovery when re-entering the water.

I transcend race Hombre! TBone14's Avatar
    +1
    I am actually dealing with the same thing. I bought a 4* wedge from here to replace the twisted one. Two questions:

Should I remove the cone spacer?

What do I need to get and/or do to get the water pipe to work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1
    I'm not sure why it was used on some models but not others that had the same hull.The cone spacer should't make it dangerous,so you could try it either way.
    The cooling tube cavity is pretty deep-when you bolt it up,you well see if it is enough to seal around the tube.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    if you try to swap the twisted wedge for a plain wedge of any other type it WILL snap the motor water outlet OFF the pump nozzle.for best results replace the water bar and wedge for something off like a stock 98slth,97sl1050,2000 slx,2001 virage etc.remove the tail cone exstension and get new allen screws to install the stock tail cone.as far as i can remember neither the tail cone exstension or the tail cone is angled in any way.i noticed better takeoff and midrange with the twisted wedge stuff replaced.and only like 1-2 mph all out glass water mph.anywhere else the new setup was way better

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    I'm not sure why it was used on some models but not others that had the same hull. The cone spacer should't make it dangerous, so you could try it either way...
    Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    ... as far as i can remember neither the tail cone extension nor the tail cone is angled in any way...
    Quote Originally Posted by k447
    ...Note: Polaris's online parts diagrams say the 1995 SL 650 STD also used the 5131245 tail cone extension...
    Since it was used in a non-twisted model (1995 SL 650 STD), the tail cone extension may work something like a static version of the AAT tail cone. Filling in more of the pump cavity volume behind the stator to alter the way the pump nozzle thrust is developed.

Might be interesting to experiment with

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    i did experiment with it.running it with a stock 4 wedge gave it less takeoff and midrange but 1 mph in glass water,just wasn't worth using it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information