Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Problem, please help a new owner.

ok, I forgot to remove the quick connect nipple from the flush tube inlet. it has a whole in it but a smaller hole than the inlet itself. I got the quick connect from wallyworld. The boat ran fine for 10 min then i shut it off. I then ran it again for 5 min and it ran fine. i went to run it a third time and when i started it it sounded like it was vapor locked. after a few attempts it turned over but did not fire up. then after a few attempts of turning over it fired up but was smoking thru the exhaust. I ran it for 5 min then shut it down. I could tell it was not performing like it should. I pulled dip stick to find water in the oil.

could the smaller diameter nipple cause water to back up into the manifold and get into the oil?

if so did i hurt the motor? can i drain the oil and be fine?

any help is much appreciated.

Are you saying you ran it on the hose for 10 mins then again for 5 mins then another time for 5 mins? Im not an expert and i could be wrong?? but i was under the impression that running it on the hose for any longer then 5 mins is asking for trouble!

And about the smaller diameter nipple causing water to back up into the manifold and get in the oil it wont do it as long as you keep the ski running while the water is turned on, if u left the water on with the ski off then the mani will fill up right into the engine.....

sorry it was in the water not on the hose. i was using the boat not flushing it.

thanks

+1
    How small a hole is it? I bought mine from the local dealer... I leave mine in and have never had a problem....

I just checked mine it's 1/4'' id.

mine is 1/4 also, i guess that was not the problem. how can water enter got in the oil ?

+1
    Water in oil?, did you get any indication of it running hot (hi temp alarm)? Check the compression on the cylinders, you may have overheated and blew the head gasket or worse by warping the head and then blowing the gasket.

i had no indication of running hot. i had no alarm. boat ran perfect, sat for i hour and then it sounded vapor locked. then it fired up but was smoking.

+1
    Since this happend while riding it and not on the hose I would suspect the water in oil from a blown head gasket. With the engine running I dont see how water could back up into the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by dnielsen View Post
    Since this happend while riding it and not on the hose I would suspect the water in oil from a blown head gasket. With the engine running I dont see how water could back up into the engine.

thanks

+1
    First and foremost pull the intake hoses and make sure they are not full of water allowing for more motor douching during step two....then pull the plugs and turn the motor over a few times blowing out any water in the cylinders (give the starter a break in between). Then fog the cylinders with some BRP lube if you have any....change the oil....then change the oil.....change the oil ...do it a few times ..... May want the pull the intake as well to drain...You need to get any residual water to prevent any further damage or corrosion to the engine internals..

Just use 99 cent oil from the 7-eleven or something when flush chnaging...no need to use good shit.

Then your going to have to locate the source of the problem....If coolant is coming out of the plug holes...then it's the head gasket...if it's river or seawater it's coming from somewhere else...unless your open loop

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information