Thread: Valve question

Valve question

Just wondering what to do either cnc lighten my 07 stock valves or to upgrade to the ferrera valves. What are the pro's and cons of both? What ever option I go for I will be running them with les retainers and stock springs. Will be spinning then to about 9k

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by damo.r View Post
    Just wondering what to do either cnc lighten my 07 stock valves or to upgrade to the ferrera valves. What are the pro's and cons of both? What ever option I go for I will be running them with les retainers and stock springs. Will be spinning then to about 9k
    If you are gonna run 9K you would be wise to run the FULL RIVA valvetrain kit bro. Ditch your other combo. I had my stock valves lightened instead of opting for ferreas since I had good 08 valves. People have dropped valves and busted motors as recent as yesterday that are just using retainers with high HP/Performance.

Quote Originally Posted by damo.r View Post
    Since alternate spring/retainer setups are out of scope, I'll share my reason for running the stock valves. Expense..
    I went the OEM valve lightening route mainly for the reduced expense. I too run the les retainers with stock springs spinning at 9000rpm. If new valve were needed I would have bought the ferrea valves. From what I have read, the OEM exhaust and ferrea valves are made from the same material. After lightening the OEM valves, they are close in weight as well.
    Ferrea valves weigh 48g intake, 41g exhs. My OEM valves are lightened to 38.5g exh and 46.5 int. A lot of material was removed to do this though. IMO excluding piston valve contact and valve float things like thermal shock from bumping the rev limiter or wot shutdown, excessive heat from running lean or late ignition timing, valves banging the seats from detonating will cause any valve to fail prematurely. Again springs and retainers out of scope , a well turned engine is the most critical factor in reliability IMO.
    Last edited by dduck1628; 03-20-2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: typo

Thread Information