Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

10 hour service on a 09 FZR

I plan to get mine serviced by a qualified mechanic/tech.

Would love to know if there is anything other than the standard things that owners/techs recommend.

+1
    My dealer dosent want tmy FZ untill 20 hrs-Nothing major to do, other than change the type of oil-different oil used in break in apparently.
    Don't know how your warranty would hold out if you got it done yourself though. Surley it's worth going to a dealer for the all important stamp in the book untill your warranty expires, then take over yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    My dealer dosent want tmy FZ untill 20 hrs-Nothing major to do, other than change the type of oil-different oil used in break in apparently.
    Don't know how your warranty would hold out if you got it done yourself though. Surley it's worth going to a dealer for the all important stamp in the book untill your warranty expires, then take over yourself.
    no plans to do it myself

Quote Originally Posted by cjgolf View Post
    I plan to get mine serviced by a qualified mechanic/tech.
    One question. Why?

http://www.sholibrary.com/Service%20Manuals.htm

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolmc View Post
    I agree. If the dealer is doing this free of charge, thats one thing. If he's charging you shop rate ( $75-95 bucks an hour ), why not save your money and do it yourself. You can double check, but doing the routine maintenance yourself wont void your warranty enless you do something rediculous like put double the amout of oil and run it. just as an example. Also, now that it is broke in, start using a high quality synthetic oil. This is a small investment that will pay huge dividends down the road in the life of your engine.
    Its yours now, get to know the ins and outs of it. It can only help the more you know about your machine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by XLT Chad View Post
    I agree. If the dealer is doing this free of charge, thats one thing. If he's charging you shop rate ( $75-95 bucks an hour ), why not save your money and do it yourself. You can double check, but doing the routine maintenance yourself wont void your warranty enless you do something rediculous like put double the amout of oil and run it. just as an example. Also, now that it is broke in, start using a high quality synthetic oil. This is a small investment that will pay huge dividends down the road in the life of your engine.
    Its yours now, get to know the ins and outs of it. It can only help the more you know about your machine.
    There has been an enormous amount of discussion on which type of oil to use on the SHO engine and synthetic oils are actually not good for the clutch. The sprang type clutch in the SHO engine needs friction to work and synthetic oil can decrease the amount of friction needed. Maybe on highly modified engines this doesn't apply but on a stock ski I would stick with Yama-lube.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...clutch-bearing

+1
    Make sure the dealer puts the correct amount of grease into the intermediate housing......34 grams....very few do this correctly!

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Friction Modifiers.....I run motorcycle oil in all my 4 strokes, will not foam, and has No friction modifiers, also has increased phosphorus and zinc for wear and corosion protection.....marine oil also runs high phosphorus and zinc I believe...at least thats what I read...Motorcycle oil is designed for extended HIGH RPM will not foam......Car oil's all brands will, and have friction modifiers in them, I run Mobil 1 MX4 Motorcycle Synthetic racing oil, meets all Yamaha's requirments for oil ratings

Quote Originally Posted by volltrex View Post
    Make sure the dealer puts the correct amount of grease into the intermediate housing......34 grams....very few do this correctly!
    volltrex:
    Thanks that is the type of advise I am looking for so that I can get the best outcome.

Others:
    I really don't have the tools, experience or time to do it myself.

I have a copy of the service manual.
    Yes I know it would be good to know these but I struggle to fit everything in even now. I am happy to pay a fair rate for an experienced tech to do the service.

I imported so I don't have any warranty anyway

Any other suggestions on what to look out for?

One question I have is why 10 hrs esp as I have no warranty. if it is running nicely why not wait for say 20 hrs. When do you guys do you first service.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by volltrex View Post
    How many pumps is that??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information