Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New (to me) Virage TXI - initial test results

Symptoms:
    -Will start but will only idle for about 10 seconds and then dies. Will immediately restart but still only for 10 seconds.
    -When running, will not rev up easily. If I feather the throttle and play with it, I can eventually get it to rev...once it revs back down it dies

Obviously the TPS is suspect. I plan to order a replacement. Unplugging the TPS does not change the 10 second running issue.

Unplugging the LR module does not change the 10 second issue.

Other tests:
    -Stator ohms out OK
    -Injectors have ~12v while cranking and 28v at idle. Will spike up to ~33v while reving and then completely lose power and the engine dies

Obviously the EMM is the primary suspect. Is there anything else I should check before I box it up and send it to DFI?

+1
    put the emm from the genisis in it to test it

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    EMM certainly seems to be the primary suspect.

Pull the CPS and check for any signs of metal/magnet dust or flywheel damage.

Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    put the emm from the genisis in it to test it
    Tried this and it won't start at all with the Genesis EMM installed. Put the original one back in and it cranked right up. It also seemed to idle much longer after I reinstalled it...but still dies when I give it throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    EMM certainly seems to be the primary suspect.

Pull the CPS and check for any signs of metal/magnet dust or flywheel damage.
    Clean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
    Tried this and it won't start at all with the Genesis EMM installed...
    Did you have the TPS unplugged?

Often enough there is more than one problem going on. You could have a bad TPS and a bad EMM, or something else.

If the Genesis EMM is known good, then it may be worthwhile putting it in and using it to figure out what else is causing it to not start. Keep in mind that dirty or weak electrical connections can cause things to work, then not work, then work again.

Today's update:

I put the Genesis EMM in it again and unplugged the TPS. Still no start...but it was getting spark. I dumped a little gas down the TB and it fired up and then continued running...and started several more times.

It will still only idle for 15-20 seconds and then die....which is what it was doing with the original EMM.

One notable change is is that with the TPS plugged back in, it actually responds to the throttle with the Genesis EMM. With the original EMM it would die as soon as you gave it gas.

I'm tempted to swap the Genesis fuel rail over to the Virage and just use the Genesis EMM and injectors for now but I still need to diagnose the 15 second stall deal.

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

Update #2:

I started it up and then unplugged the LR module....and it didn't stall!!

I had tried this with the old EMM and it didn't work...so pretty sure the EMM and the LR module is shot.

I think I'll rob an LR module from the Genesis and swap the injectors over. I think I'm going to scrap the Genesis so I'm not sure if I'll have the Virage EMM repaired for a backup or not.

+1
    So you have/had two problem causes - EMM and LR Start/Stop module.

What is the part number on that LR module?

This is a 2002 Virage TXi - correct?

Correct, the EMM had the telltale red slime coming out of it and upon opening it up I found a pretty large area of heat damage to the gel.

The LR is 4010724 which matches the current polaris catalog, but what's weird is that partsland is showing 4010906 which only crosses to the '04 Genesis and Virage I....in fact, Partsland is showing that part number for just about all DI models.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
    ... The LR is 4010724 which matches the current Polaris catalog, but what's weird is that partsland is showing 4010906 which only crosses to the '04 Genesis and Virage i....in fact, Partsland is showing that part number for just about all DI models.
    4010906 is the newer version (LR-503-3) which supersedes and replaces the earlier 4010724 (LR-503-1)

My notes say the 4010724 was prone to failure.

LR voltage regulator and Start/Stop modules

I grabbed the LR module from the Virage i and no more problems with the TXI. I think I'll go ahead ans swap the injectors and bring it to the ramp to see how it does on the trailer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information