Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GP 1300 not reaching max rpms. bogs out at 42 mph

Hello,I recently purchased a Yamaha GP 1300r With full RIVA stage 2 performance upgrade. I took it to my local RIVA for annual inspection just to make sure It ran fine. RIVA found kinks and sheering in the throttle cable from where the previous owner removed the oil tank. (runs on pre mix now). Also They told me the ski had no air filter at all.So after the maintenance, new throttle cable, and air filter with flame arrestors added, I took the ski out for a run. Starts right up, sounds and runs great, until I hit 42 mph (approx 70% throttle). when I engage the throttle any further, it just bogs out (stays on though).I returned it back to RIVA. After 2 weeks, I was called and told they spent 5 hours making sure the work they did was good and everything was connected right. Compression on each cylinder was @ 160.They wanted to look into the exhaust box/pipe? They told me that any further inspection would cost!I'm not very mechanical, is there any suggestions to what could be causing this? I just dont want to be led down an expensive goose chase, I've already spent $1300 with them to have a 42 mph ski.I appriciate any and all suggestions in advanced from the knowledgeable members of this forum.Thank you!

was it an orange and silver 1300 with single seat by any chance ?

No it's Cadillac white and pink/grey seat

Welcome to the forum!
    did they do the throttle cable recall for free?
    what do you mean, there was no air filter? do you mean there was no air box, and just the throttle bodies? BC the GPR only has the air box with the silencer and baffles, no air filter at all from the factory...
    pictures would be good...

you need to post exactly what year ski and what the mods are... there are varying mods that people call stage 2...
    assuming you have the EFI fuel controller, what are the settings?

Yes they did that for free which was awesome of the dealership. I'm just concerned with the loss of power and hoping someone on the forums might have conquered this problem. I know RIVA will do what it take it just seems that they aren't too sure either.

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Also I'll have to look at the receipt to see what they put in regarding the air. No pics cause it's at the dealer. I do have an efi. I don't know the settings, but they told me they set it back to factory then adjusted it with no real improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Binihana View Post
    Yes they did that for free which was awesome of the dealership. I'm just concerned with the loss of power and hoping someone on the forums might have conquered this problem. I know RIVA will do what it take it just seems that they aren't too sure either.

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Also I'll have to look at the receipt to see what they put in regarding the air. No pics cause it's at the dealer. I do have an efi. I don't know the settings, but they told me they set it back to factory then adjusted it with no real improvement.
    well, the cable recall is a yamaha factory recall, not the dealers... just FYI..
    we do know that their settings are wrong according to their own instructions.

without futher info or at least some pics it will be difficult to help you diagnose the ski...

they are going to have to check everything, didn`t they water test the ski b4 you got it back/ or they don`t do that?

you have all of the below listed mods? do you have an accurate aftermarket tach?

stage II:

Performance Power Filter 1 RY1312
    Pro-Series E.F.I. Control Unit 1 RY11913
    RIVA/Boyesen Reed Stuffer Kit 1 RY1413
    Performance Cylinder Head Kit (60T) 1 412-13045
    Girdled Head Hardware Kit 1 412-12000
    Cat Removal D-plate 1 RY1819
    Free Flow Exhaust Kit 1 RY1613
    Pump Seal Kit 1 RY2520
    Top-Loader Intake Grate 1 RY22420
    DynaFly Impeller 1 YG-DF-14/20
    Performance Ride Plate 1 RY21013
    Performance Trim Tabs 1 RY2720-1
    Pro-Series Sponsons 1 RY2620-1
    Parts Price Total $ 2,436.39

No they didn't not till I brought it back the second time. Since then they have gone over what they installed and tried calibrating the efi. To no avail! Seems now we are on a goose hunt, just don't seem to have a good direction for the cause. Where can I learn how to program the efi?

Quote Originally Posted by Binihana View Post
    No they didn't not till I brought it back the second time. Since then they have gone over what they installed and tried calibrating the efi. To no avail! Seems now we are on a goose hunt, just don't seem to have a good direction for the cause. Where can I learn how to program the efi?
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...uel-controller

with your mods a good place to start would be 5 6 1 6 and go from there...

what exactly are your mods and what year ski???

what did "they" install?

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post

what did "they" install?
    This is directly from the receipt...

2004 Yamaha GP1300-c VIN US-YAMA2333A404

Platinum level service;
    fuel filter; 3 spark plugs; cleaner, engine-power tune; yamashield.
    Check compression 160;160;160

Recall throttle kit

Swollen impeller housing as a result of corrosion and is binding on impeller, recommended to be replaced (I replaced it)
    1 wear ring

Air Filter Part Ry1313 (Flame Arstr, Race)

(test and ran engine, ok) but they told me they didnt water test.

That was $1300!

the air filter/flame arrestor is what they said it was running without and needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post

what did "they" install?
    It's a 2004 GP 1300-C (model number on the receipt)
    Riva changed the spark plugs, fuel filter, applied Engine power tune cleaner, and applied Yamashield protectant.
    Replaced throttle cable per recall (had to make modifications because the stock oil tank was removed and I as told the factory throttle cable mounts to the oil tank somehow)

During the inspection the tech noticed the impeller housing was swollen as a result of corrosion and is binding on impeller

to fix that they installed a Yamaha SS (66V) Wear Ring

I was told the ski was running with no (air filter or air box, im not sure what the tech called it)

To fix that, they installed Race Flame Arstr Part Number RY1313.

Also Thanks for the link on the EFI info, tells ,e the settings and what they mean but I have no idea how to change the settings. Is there an online guide or PDF?

Thanks so much for your help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information