Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Yamaha FZS Solar Impeller installed....dealer cut off my old impeller?

I purchased a Solas Impeller from the greenhulk store and took my ski (FZS) to the dealership and I told them to keep my original impeller in case I ever need to put it back to stock. When I went to pick it up, they didn't have my old one. Upon inquiring, the service guy told me that they could not remove the old impeller from the shaft and they ended up cutting it off....now I have a useless original impeller. Could there be any other damages done? I didn't know if cutting the impeller could damage the shaft or anything else. Thanks in advance.

They problebly lost it or sold it or threw it out.
    that really sucks because if yoy ever get a reflash the stock impeller works great.

Sorry....I just picked up the original impeller and it is destroyed. They cut down the length of it to remove it. I will try to post pics later. I meant to post that they had located it. The service guy also told me that his tech broke his tool trying to remove it as well.

+1
    They were probably trying to turn it the wrong way. They are tough to get off. I had to heat mine and then get on top of my work bench and stand on the end of the wrench to break it loose. Depending on how they cut it off, they may have damaged the shaft. If they used a splitter, they could have done it without damaging it, but if they cut, there's a good chance they damaged it.

I took out the ski yesterday, but there were 25mph winds and it was like an ocean at the lake. I was still able to almost hit 69mph on the GPS and it "seemed" to ride fine. Any idea how I can tell or what to check for as far as having issues with the shaft. The ski ran great, but it was my first time out this season, so it's been a while.

+1
    worst case is the might have nicked the threads on the shaft when they were doing the cutting, if they were careful they might not have, they probably used an angle grinder with a cutting wheel on it

in all probability everything is fine

I wouldn't worry about it

(if you realy wanted to you could remove the pump and then remove teh Solas impeller and inspect the threads, but like I suggested this probably isn't worth doing)

there are a lot of used OEM impellers available for a cheap price so if you ever needed one they are readily available for a reasonable price

Although unlikely to actually happen they owe you an impeller IMO as you did not authorize them to destroy it in order to remove it.

I would say it is extremely rare to have to do this as with the right tools and knowledge it will come off. It may be tight, but it will come off. \

Another example of why so many steer clear of dealers.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    Although unlikely to actually happen they owe you an impeller IMO as you did not authorize them to destroy it in order to remove it.

I would say it is extremely rare to have to do this as with the right tools and knowledge it will come off. It may be tight, but it will come off. \

Another example of why so many steer clear of dealers.
    +1. Any prop on a SHO engine is tough to remove with all the torque but with the proper tools it is very easy to do.

+1
    Even with proper tools, the impeller can be a BITCH to get off.

+1
    It is. I wrestled with it for a good while before I heated it up with a torch and stood on the handle of the wrench up on top of my bench to get it loose. A good cheater bar would make it easier, but the one I have won't fit over the end of the wrench.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information