gsx limited starter

Hello all,
    I just purchased a 1998 (actually 97.5 with white 951). When I looked at it, the previous owner had not run it in a year.
    I checked the plugs and everything looked good. With the plugs out, I connected a freshly charged battery and the engine turned over.
    Once I got it home, the starter won't turn.
    I have removed the exhaust and carbs, so I can get to the starter easier. I know that is more work than required, but I can look over the rest and upgrade the fuel lines at the same time.
    I checked all of the wiring connections. Cleaned them all. Put the rear bracket back on. Put a freshly charged battery in, with a volt meter on the positive (red) and negative (black) cables. It shows 12.8v at the starter, but it doesn't turn at all.
    I guess the starter is bad or seized by the gears somehow.
    The starter won't pull out, after the rear bracket is removed. Should it?

The engine is an SBT engine, since the original engine was hydro-locked, that was installed about 1.5 or 2 years ago.
    The starter is a "high torque" SBT starter.
    I am trying to avoid removing the flywheel, since I don't have the puller.

I want to test the starter, but can't get it out. Do I have to remove the mag cover and flywheel to get the starter out? The service manual is not very clear on that issue. It appears, you can pull the starter out from the rear and the gear assembly remains in the mag cover.
    If you can pull it out, how much pressure should it take? I have not PULLED on it or tried to pry it off because of the fear of damage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

I was working on this ski yesterday and didn't want to pull hard on the starter because the service manual shows a drive assembly behind the flywheel/mag cover.
    I did get it out today. Once I removed the rear bracket, it just took some pulling/prying/wiggling around to get it out. The starter has two rubber o-rings that seal it to the crankcase.
    I just didn't want to put to much pressure and mess up the gears under the front cover.

I couldn't find anywhere that would show me how to get this starter out. The SBT manual and the SeaDoo service manual say to remove the rear bolts and bracket, then take the starter out.

Now it is time to rebuild/replace the starter and reassemble the motor.

I got the starter rebuilt and put back in.
    Now I am replacing the fuel lines and it is a tight fit. The fuel selector won't pull out far enough, so I can see the clamps.
    I tried to pull the fuel pickup tube out of the tank, but it hits the hull just before it will clear the tank.
    I am going to try to tilt the tank and hopefully it will come out. I need to check the screen on the bottom.
    The carb gaskets didn't come out complete, so I ordered another set today.
    I was hopeful to get this ski in the water this weekend, but it looks like another week before testing can begin.

When they designed this ski, they used every inch of space in the hull. Now I understand why shops charge so much for work on these.

This ski was already converted to premix, but they took the oil tank out. I ordered an oil tank on ebay, so I can reconnect the rotax valve lube tube - the one that connects to the crankcase. From my understanding, it is a gravity feed and didn't run off the oilpump (which has been removed).

If there is anything else I need to do or look for, while I have the carbs and exhaust out, please let me know. I think everybody says to replace the fuel lines, but if there are any other "tricks", please post them. It seems every brand and model have their issues, which most have fixes for.

+1
    the 951 doesn't have a rotary valve, the oil tank feeds the oi injection pump only as for the fuel sending unit, it wont come out unless you remove the steering column, tilt the tank and pull it out through the opening in the hull, i know this cause i pulled mine twice last year......... there isnt much i havent dont to my 97.5 GTXLTD GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when its running, you will love the machine

I am testing the GSXL this weekend. I hope it runs well.

I was riding my Polaris SL750 this last weekend, which was not running very well and ended up with a bad PTO piston - from some debris in the cylinder.
    On the ride, there were two others with me that have SeaDoos. One has a 97 XP 800 and the other has a 96 STI. They were running circles around me and thought it was funny to spray me. The polaris would only run about 35 mph - according to another friend that has a new kawasaki and was riding beside me.
    It was great fun, but maybe payback is in order

---------- Post added at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 AM ----------

The oil tank was removed by the previous owner, so I bought one on ebay. That was before I knew the 951 didn't have the rotary valve.

I am thinking about putting it in and making it my reserve fuel tank....any thoughts?
    I thought about adding another petcock, so I would actually have 2 reserve tanks, since this ski likes the fuel.
    With two reserve tanks, I could run the O tank reserve out every other ride. Just to keep the fuel fresh.

---------- Post added at 07:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    the 951 doesn't have a rotary valve, the oil tank feeds the oi injection pump only as for the fuel sending unit, it wont come out unless you remove the steering column, tilt the tank and pull it out through the opening in the hull, i know this cause i pulled mine twice last year......... there isnt much i havent dont to my 97.5 GTXLTD GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when its running, you will love the machine
    What kind of trouble have you had with this ski?

I keep reading that it is a grenade, but can't figure out what troubles people have.
    I know the previous owner, capsized the ski and hydrolocked the engine. He put a rebuild from SBT in it, about 2 years ago. I consider that close to fresh. It has not been used in about 1.5 years - according to the previous owner.
    He said, they loved it and didn't use it that often. When they did use it, that was a fast ski. He didn't really have any other trouble out of it and seemed to be an honest person.

The question is: what troubles have you experienced?

Thread Information